JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on

/ JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on #1  

DaleS4300

Tractor
89 JD 4300
I have a 1989 JD 4300 Sync Reverser that will not start. The PTO light is on, even though the PTO is not engaged. I have check the fuses and looked for a switch, but I can't find anything. Ithink the safety interlock is keeping the starter from engaging because of this. Any idea what would cause the PTO light to come on when the PTO is not engaged? Any idea how to bypass?

/ JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on
Does anyone know where the switch is located for the PTO. I do not mind replacing the part if I can just find where the switches are located. I called the JD dealer and he indicated there should be a switch close to the PTO lever; no luck there, just a series of linkages that go to the transmission. I went to the JD site and combed through the parts manual for the 4300, but the only safety switch I can find is the one located on the seat. I feel sure it is a loose connection somewhere, prior to parking it for the day I had to jiggle the PTO shifter and move the 3-Point up and down a little to get the PTO light to go off. Unfortunately when I went to crank the tractor this morning, the starter turned over once then the PTO light came on and the starter would no longer engage. If I could get a wiring diagram on how the PTO switch is set up I could trace the wire to see if it is a short in the wire somewhere or eventually find the switch.

/ JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on #4  
Dale:

I have a 4200 and my shop manual covers your 4300 too. Take a look at these excerpted pages and see if they help you.

Matt

Attachments

• Pages from 4200,4300 And 4400 Compact Utility-TM1677.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • Pages from 4200,4300 And 4400 Compact Utility-TM1677-2.pdf
    341.8 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Pages from 4200,4300 And 4400 Compact Utility-TM1677-3.pdf
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,100
   / JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on #5  
Does anyone know where the switch is located for the PTO.

My 4300 is in a thousand pieces right now. The PTO interlock switch is
on the left upper side of the rangeshift/differential gearbox. It would be
right below your left butt cheek as you sit on the tractor. Your
connector could have come off.....

BTW, my tractor has a blown PTO clutch, which has happened several
times to several of the 4300s at my local rental yard. I wish I could buy
just the clutch friction disks (9 used), but I have to buy the whole
stack for $240! Engagement of the PTO at speed with a rotary mower
attached does it.

Thanks to all for the help. As it turns out the PTO switch is actually bad. My local dealer got back to me this afternoon to tell me where the switch is located; it definitely is not where I expected, it is nowhere near the PTO lever; it is just as described above; if you are sitting in the seat directly under the left butt cheek.

I unplugged the switch from the differential housing and put a jumper wire between the posts on the switch, the light went out and the tractor cranked without an issue. Until I can order a new switch (I believe it is part number M132725) I have a jumper/crossover plug in place (actually created crossover plug from a female connector off of a backup alarm I took off my old Easy Go WorkHorse golf cart/utility vehicle). Thanks to all who answered.

BTW, my tractor has a blown PTO clutch, which has happened several times to several of the 4300s at my local rental yard. I wish I could buy just the clutch friction disks (9 used), but I have to buy the whole stack for $240! Engagement of the PTO at speed with a rotary mower
attached does it.

Thanks for this info. I will definitely be more careful in engaging the PTO with the bushhog or finishing mower attached from now on. How difficult is the clutch friction disks replacement? The only other problems I have had with the machine is the reverse/forward shift linkage connector came apart while I was on the back side of my property with no tools (I was able to get a piece of wood shoved in to hold it in place until I could get back to the barn), lifter arm cracked while pulling a log (the replacement is almost twice as thick; must have been a common issue) and a cracked hood when my neighbor used it for a couple of days.

/ JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on #8  
Thanks for this info. I will definitely be more careful in engaging the PTO with the bushhog or finishing mower attached from now on. How difficult is the clutch friction disks replacement? The only other problems I have had with the machine is the reverse/forward shift linkage connector came apart while I was on the back side of my property with no tools (I was able to get a piece of wood shoved in to hold it in place until I could get back to the barn), lifter arm cracked while pulling a log (the replacement is almost twice as thick; must have been a common issue) and a cracked hood when my neighbor used it for a couple of days.

Wow, I can't believe you lend out your tractor. Chainsaws, too?

Anyway, I am going to post my whole rebuild project on TBN, and I have
lots of photos. The PTO clutch pack can be removed and replaced without
splitting the tractor. You do need to remove the PTO hatch in back, and
the "rockshaft" cover. My clutch discs (8 of them) are fine, but one is
missing, so I have to buy the whole pack.

As for the range shifter, the control shaft breaks pretty easily. Mine is
broken. There is an earlier thread on this repair. This applies to the HST,
but I do not know if it applies to the CST or SRT trannies.

I am curious about your replacement upper 3-pt lift arm. Got photos?

Wow, I can't believe you lend out your tractor. Chainsaws, too?
I am curious about your replacement upper 3-pt lift arm. Got photos?

Normally I would not lend out my tractor to anyone, this one instance was to someone that would give me his last dollar if I needed it; one of those rare friends. Funny you mentioned chainsaw though, he borrowed my pole saw the other day and left me his Husky when mine was on the fritz. VERY RARE that I trust anyone to borrow something of value though. With the hood, I was out of town when it happened and he had ordered a new one the same day it happened. When it came in he brought it over and installed it while I was at work.

The lift arm broke because I stupidly failed to lock down the sway bars under load and when the load shifted to the side it broke in the middle of one of the adjustment threads (I think above I said I was pulling a log, it was actually a golf cart; the story is funny looking back on it; I recorded it in my blog back in January). For some reason JD uses die cast metal for the arms and they don't bend, they just snap in half! If it bent I could have at least finished what I was doing and ordered another one the next day. I was hoping I could order just the upper half and screw it into the receiver. JD only sells the lift arm as a 2 piece unit for about $250. The lower arms are about $320. The good news is the replacement is a lot more durable than the original one that is about 1 inch in diameter, the replacement is about 2 inches in diameter and a lot more solid looking. I can post pictures of the old broken one, I think I still have it in my scrap pile, as well as the new installed one.

/ JD 4300 will not start PTO light stays on #10  
I was hoping I could order just the upper half and screw it into the receiver. JD only sells the lift arm as a 2 piece unit for about $250. The lower arms are about $320. The good news is the replacement is a lot more durable than the original one that is about 1 inch in diameter, the replacement is about 2 inches in diameter and a lot more solid looking. I can post pictures of the old broken one, I think I still have it in my scrap pile, as well as the new installed one.

I would like to see the two arms. You don't have to buy the lower 3-pt
lift arms from JD, BTW. Generics work fine, and sometimes (for toplinks)
better.

BTW, DALE, a belated welcome to TBN. Pls fill out your profile so we know
where/who you are and what you have.