Tires

/ Tires #1  

PHIL850

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850
I am looking to replace the front tires on my JD 850 MFWD. I blew out one last weekend
doing some bucket work (ok so they were old and a bit rotten). They are
Firestone 25 X 8.50 X 14 Turf & Field.

Question: I would lilke to convert over at some point to something with a bit more agrressive tred. I have found replacement tires with bar tred or R4 style in the same size as my Turf and Field. Is it OK to replace my present tires with the Bar or R4 tires?

2nd question: Any brand of Tires I should avoid?

thanks all , Phil C.

/ Tires #2  
I am looking to replace the front tires on my JD 850 MFWD. I blew out one last weekend

Question: I would lilke to convert over at some point to something with a bit more agrressive tred. I have found replacement tires with bar tred or R4 style in the same size as my Turf and Field. Is it OK to replace my present tires with the Bar or R4 tires?

thanks all , Phil C.
I would go straight from the turfs to AGs and skip the R4s all together.

/ Tires #3  
Biggest concern with MFWD is to make sure the rolling circumference stays the same or it can throw off the ratio between front/rear tires.

/ Tires #4  
You need to be very careful with rolling or loaded circumference with tire sizing. Please search either of these titles in the TBN archives and you will find the formulas to figure your tire size needs.;)

/ Tires #5  
It is very indepth to try and change tires out.

You can't go with the outer diameter when working with cleated tires as when in wet you are not on the cleats! I'd recommend checking with a dealer as to which rims and tires match up and then go from there.

We've worked on a lot of drive system problems that are caused by tire replacement!

/ Tires #6  
If the rolling circumference is the same then a replacement tire is OK. When in soft or wet conditions then there could be slippage front to back but will not stress the drivetrain.

/ Tires #7  
Rolling circumfrence is also dependent on rim width, so besure to measure your rim width properly. Seems that Ag tirs take narrower rims than R4s. I've been extremely happy with the R4s which I choose for my NH TC48. Plus they are 8 ply front and rear. :D

/ Tires #8  

thanks all , Phil C.
Phil, what size are the rear tires?

There are ways to do what you ask, but it's better to be sure of your tractors mfwd ratio. I did it on my 770, went from turf to R4. The front tires were the same as yours, 25x8.50-14.. the rears were 13.6-16. I called J Deere and got the ratio, then found R4 tires that had the proper rolling circumference, frt and rear.

Warning..my dealer told me rims weren't available and I couldn't do it. Well I had to do some homework, but it worked fine and was within the acceptable front wheel lead percentage, and best of all I was able to use the rims I already had.
Here's the thread..http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/99396-790-770-mfwd-ratio-r4.html

/ Tires
Well I did some more research on this and also found a great tire supplier as well
(Nebraska Tire).

Ended up with a set of Skid steer tires in the Exact same size only 6 ply. Measeaured
things up before and after as to Diameter and came in well within the limits. I run this
tractor in Vermont where we have lots of rain (mud) and primarily in the field and woods, with some gravel driveway grading in between. At some point I will need to replace the
rear Turf tires ( 355/80D20) as well. I may not luck out as easily, when that time comes as I would like to replace them with a more aggresive tred some day too.

At any rate, I have solved my front tire issue for now. I have to say, these replacements were a bargin compared to what the JD dealership qouted me for standard replacement
same size Turf tires, as they wanted $177 a piece! I got the new replacements for a, little
less coming in at $60 a piece and that included shipping! Ok so they were blems, who cares
on a tractor. :)

regards, Phil

/ Tires #10  
Good Afternoon Phil,

I am looking to do the same thing on my Ford 1620. I currently have turf tires and the fronts are in need of replacement. They are the same size as yours (25x8.50-14). I am considering the same replacement tires from Nebraska Tire because I think they will hold up to loader work better than the turfs. Were you able to find out the rolling circumference for the new tires?

Also, an open question to everyone. What does the "25x" in the above tire size represent? The size of my rear tires is listed as 13.6-16, where the 13.6 represents the width at the tire bead and the 16 is the wheel diameter at the tire bead. Similarly the fronts have a width of 8.50 and a wheel diameter of 14. What's the 25?

Thanks,
Dave