JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #1  

shorty0040

My backhoe will not go forward or reverse. It was working fine I was driving down the road and it just stopped. We have a buzzer and a light that comes on with a gear that has a water drop in the center of it. Someone had told me that it could be the brake switch. We have checked all fluids and they are all fine. Do you have any idea what this could be?

Thank you,

Shorty

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #2  
G'day and welcome to TBN it sounds to me like the light is a transmission oil pressure light if the trans oil is at the right level then maybe you have got a blocked trans filter or suction screen :( or maybe even a pump prob:eek:. I would start with the filters first. Good luck:)

Jon

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader
Thank you Jon. :) We had about $5000.00 worth of work done on the pump, supposedly they replaced the pump but it never has worked right since they fixed it.:mad: The brake switch issue. Does that seem feasibly to you? The backhoe has less than 20 hrs on the new pump. Do you have any other ideas? I will check everthing that you suggested. Thanks again.

Shorty

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #4  
G'day Shorty $5000 seems alot to fix a trans pump even over here must have put a gold plated one in there:rolleyes: the symbol you are talking about sounds to me like g/box oil press is there any way of posting a pick of it?? Trans pump and hyd pump are two seperate units

Jon

Last edited:
   / JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #5  
I've got a 1550B so presume them to be at least similar?

(left side "forward/reverse")???

I had this happen to me once. Long time ago, I forget most of it. Might have gone one direction and not the other.

Bottom line... on my left side F/R switch, I had a wire that had broken through its solder.

I took the lever off, found it, soldered it and been fine ever since.

Also, on my machine, if I turn my key off my transmission will not work. If you don't have a problem in your F/R lever, could you have a problem in your key where it will turn the machine on but not let the accessories (like the transmission :eek:) see that it's turned on?

Of course, I'm speculating. My first place to look would be the lever since it gets used the most.

Good luck with it.

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #6  
I was a bit premature... I didn't notice your comment about the dash light.

I don't have any manual for my machine and dont know what lights mean what. I'd certainly check the level of your transmission fluid too.

When you hit the F/R lever, does it do ANYTHING? (click/moan/creep?)

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #7  
Re: JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader going down the road the unit just stopped. Stopped engim

Tibeau: My backhoe will not go forward or reverse. It was working fine as I was driving down the road and then it just stopped. Turn key off and stopped engine; restarted and tractor goes. Check fluid levels OK.

Thank you,

Tibeau

Last edited:
   / JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #8  
Re: JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader going down the road the unit just stopped. Stopped engim

Nothing happens when F/R lever is moved.

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #9  
I have a 1989 JCB 1400B that did this years ago, your transmission selonoid might be the problem and/or the F/R lever might be going bad. I followed the wires from the F/R lever under the machine to where they plug into the transmission selonoid (its on top of the transmission,directly under the gas/brake pedal) unplugged both wires, cleaned the top of the selonoid and F/R Lever wire connections up real good and reattached which cured the problem of no forward or reverse for me. The 1400B's seem to have alot of electrical gremlins which cause all sorts of problems (ie. gauges dont work,etc)...if I can be of further assistance let me know.

/ JCB 1400B Backhoe Loader #10  
Thanks Garyin WA,
I suspected a wire or solinoid problem but this gives me a place to look. I'm hoping it's the connection on the top of the trans since we steam clean the machine firly regularly and maybe got too much water on this connection.
Thanks,
Tibeau