John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #1  

kc5rui

Evening folks, first time poster here.
Was out mowing in the heat of the day today (101 degrees), when shifting into reverse the gears just grind. Had to disengage the PTO and drop the RPMs just to get it into gear. Checked it later after it cooled off and the problem still exists in all gears, putting it in gear at high RPMs is impossible.

The tractor has 500hrs and is well maintained and never abused.

Is there some adjustment somewhere that i am missing other than the clevis at the clutch pedal, or is this a dealer repair.

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #2  
I have A J.D. 4520 No problems with clutch or gears in shifting while using the Bush hog. could there be a stick or brush caught in linkage?
Did this just start or lingering problem. at 500 hours a good chance still in warrenty at dealership. I did have a switch near the clutch linkage under the floor pan on clutch housing that failed when new and caused engine to not start. no problems if running.
This tractor uses standred dry clutch. power shift or Hydrolic.
ken

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues
It seems to me that the more stopping, going, forward, reverse, gear switching, blah blah, the more tempormental the clutch is.

I unhooked the bush hog and put the finish mower on and kept it in one gear, with the occasional reversing, and all seems to be fine. There is still a little hangup when trying to get it out of gear, but it goes into gear ok.

Does this sound right?

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #5  
This is a long shot, but have you checked the transmission fluid level?
I had a new 4200 (in 1999) that shifted fine when cool, but would act just like you describe when hot. Turned out it had too much oil in the transmission. Drained the oil down to the correct level and never had any more shifting problems with it (I traded it in 2007). Good luck!

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #6  
A bit of clarification to my previous post (I waited too long to edit it): The oil level should be in the center of the sight glass or slightly below center. Mine was only about 3/4ths of the way up in the glass but was nearly impossible to shift when hot or when the tractor was in a steep nose-down position.

John in TN, the tranny/hydr fluid is in the lower crosshatch on the dip stick, that could be the problem.
I went to the JD dealer and bought $137 worth of filters and fluids. since im at the 500 hour mark, everything is due to be changed out.

Does anyone know where the transmission filter is located on the 4500?

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #8  
This is for a HST. Under the tractor is a cavity that you can see the shaft to run the front MFWD. In that cavity is the filter about 3 inches around and 6 inches long. Enjoy

Changing out the transmission fluid and filter didnt help, still the same issues.

/ John Deere 4500 Clutch Issues #10  
to me it sounds like something it stuck or u need to adjust ur clutch see if there is a inspection plate on the side of the bell housing and look in there and see just whats going on