Michelxb

Tractor
International B414
Hello

I am restoring an Inter B414. (1964)
Near all wire are disconnected.

The wire between glow plugs are all "hand made with wire"
There is no glow plug switch.
Glow plug "light" and glow plugs are new.

Since the voltage for the glow plug must be 0.9 volt ( It is written on the glow plug), how and where the voltage pass from 12 v to 0.9 volt?
A 12 volts will burn the glow plug indicator (light) or even the glow plug.

In the glow plug switch?
By a special wire between glow plugs witch would drop the voltage?
It is not easy (until now) for me to find parts for the B414.

I am new in diesel things and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #2  
I think you may be misreading or misunderstanding the glow pluig spec you are reading.

.9v wouldn't produce significant wattage for the purpose of a glow plug. it's an incandescent heating element... jigh current, low duty cycle. if the machine was originally 12v.. I doubt there is much fuss you need to make as long as the wireing is sufficient gauge.

soundguy

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug?
I think the same as you but.... 12 volt blow the plug and also the "light" incadescent r駸istor on the panel!

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #4  
.9 volt seems odd. take one of the plugs and hook it to a AAA battery I doubt you will get much heat. Glow plugs take juice to create heat.

Maybe .9k as in resistance of the plug.

What do you mean by they keep blowing? Are they burning the tips off?

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #5  
Do your plugs look like this:

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331632205BOS.JPG

Loop plugs are typically either 1.2V or .9V and must be wired in series. These plugs were very common in Mercedes diesels up to 1979 when they changed over to 12V parallel pencil plugs.

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331632882BOS.JPG

You are correct that you require a voltage dropping resistor on the front end otherwise you'll burn the plugs up in pretty short order.

The loop plugs are painfully slow, if you have the ability I'd recommend looking for a set of pencil plugs and upgrade. On some of my engines I've tossed the loop plugs and installed the parallel plugs and the engine will start quicker and easier.

Jason

.9 volt seems odd. take one of the plugs and hook it to a AAA battery I doubt you will get much heat. Glow plugs take juice to create heat.

Maybe .9k as in resistance of the plug.

What do you mean by they keep blowing? Are they burning the tips off?

Yes they burning the tips off when I try on 12 volt.
Sorry but english is not my first language so ...

It is 0.9 v.

Thanks

Do your plugs look like this:

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331632205BOS.JPG

Loop plugs are typically either 1.2V or .9V and must be wired in series. These plugs were very common in Mercedes diesels up to 1979 when they changed over to 12V parallel pencil plugs.

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331632882BOS.JPG

You are correct that you require a voltage dropping resistor on the front end otherwise you'll burn the plugs up in pretty short order.

The loop plugs are painfully slow, if you have the ability I'd recommend looking for a set of pencil plugs and upgrade. On some of my engines I've tossed the loop plugs and installed the parallel plugs and the engine will start quicker and easier.

Jason

In fact it is this plug.
I just bought 4 new and it is much $ so I will try to make them work even if they are slow.

I think that I need a resistor that will drop de 12v in 0.9v and let much watts through.

Thanks for advice.

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #8  
Maybe I'M missing something here but how do you run those plugs in series?

The lower voltage plugs that I have used were in series with the indicator and that acted as the resistor.

Maybe I'M missing something here but how do you run those plugs in series?

The lower voltage plugs that I have used were in series with the indicator and that acted as the resistor.

Yes it is like this on the B414

I test the indicator alone to test it and it burn.
The circuit is :
battery to glow plug switch to indicator (a resistance that will be red when hot) to the first glow plug to the second one to the third to the fourth to the tractor body.
Is the resistence of all the plugs and the indicator will drop 12v to 0.9 volt?
Or do I have to put a resistor or something else that will do the job?
Is the swith (that I don't have has this "something" that will do the job?

I saw in book that on this tractor the body is connected to the PLUS of the battery but I connect it like we usualy do body (ground) to Negative. Curious!!!!

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #10  
This is not a difficult problem to solve, however we need more information. What is the current in amps when the plugs are working?