Repair on Kubota plastic fender

/ Repair on Kubota plastic fender #1  

santacruzer

Bronze Member
A few weks ago I posted asking for ways to repair the plastic fender on a 2008 Kubota BX. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

I found a product called "WELD ON 790 Multi Purpose cement (it's normally used for PVC, CPVC, ABS and Styrene water pipes. The part of the cement I really liked was that it was clear in color and worked on ABS.

My son-in-law and I ran a bead on two of the broken pieces...they seemed to "weld" together pretty well. We took those pieces and fit them into the rest of the broken fender, fit everything together and let it sit for 24 hrs. Upon inspection the "welds" felt really tight and strong. We also ran an additional bead on the cracks both on top and underneath the fender.

I actually think that if the fender was not hit again I would have to do nothing else, but I backed the underneath of the fender with a couple of layers of mesh sheet rock tape (I think it's nylon) and painted the remaining pipe cement on the mesh. Since the cement was transparent it is not really noticeable.

I think I'll leave it like that and not pop rivet anything else for backing because of how well the the fender is holding. I can always repair it again if it takes another hit.

Thanks again! Paul

/ Repair on Kubota plastic fender #2  
I think you found the correct solution.
I also have repaired various watercraft (not tractors yet) using pvc plumbing cements and the resylts have stood the test of time werry well.
Many folks make the mistake of believing fiberglass is the route to go. Wrong, will not adhere. You need to use (as U did) a 'solvent cement'.

I do believe it will withstand the test of time.

I did use solvent cement also to repair an ATV fender once and as well PVC wing tips on a cessna aircraft.