Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 570
  1. #21
    Elite Member dfkrug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,631
    Location
    NorCal
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Once I got the loader off, I went thru a second session with the pressure
    washer. I cleaned off buckets of dirt, while removing the few remaining
    body panels, seat, floor boards, radiator, etc. (And that 100 lb nose
    protector.)

    And here is my "eureka moment". The report on this tractor was that it
    ran, but very poorly, with lots of black smoke. The air filters were correct
    and in place, so the cause of the engine failure was unknown. Until now.
    The first photo shows a split in the air hose between the air filter housing
    and the air intake mainifold. The culprit hose, which is open to dirt, is
    pinched between the fuel tank and the valve cover. The split was invisible
    until I cleaned things up and started to remove the bracket that holds the
    filter housing.

    Now I need to get the fuel tank out to get access to the valve cover and
    the air intake manifold. I have never seen such a difficult to remove tank!
    I had to remove the steering system support, PS hard lines, instrument
    cluster, fuse panel, numerous brackets, and the 2-sided brake pedals. The
    pedals pivot on a shaft that goes through the middle of the the fuel tank!
    JD was willing to do ANYTHING to get 10 gallons of fuel in there it seems.
    I give Deere a LOT of credit for putting a fuel drain in the tank. Every CUT
    I have rebuilt has had sludge in the bottom of the tank, and this is the first
    time I have had a drain petcock. The jar shows the last bits of liquid I
    removed thru the drain. I had to blow into the drain a few times to get
    the last to come out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -smoking_gun_a-jpg   -fuel_drain_a-jpg   -fuel_n_water_a-jpg  

  2. #22
    Elite Member dfkrug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,631
    Location
    NorCal
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    At last I got the fuel tank out....it took hours! There is NO access to
    the engine while the tank is in, which means no valve adjustment and,
    in my case, no access to the engine ID. (There are 2 different engines
    used in the 4300, and I needed to know which one I had inorder to buy the
    correct pistons.) Hmmmmm.

    So here is the damaged hose. It was pinched between the tank and the
    valve cover, and an additional hose. Vibration, dirt, and a non-reinforced
    hose did this poor machine in. It seems to me that a fiber-reinforced hose
    (like a water hose) could have been used to avoid this problem.

    Look inside the air intake.....yeeecchh! What you see is the air heating
    element (used instead of glow plugs) covered with dirt. Now I am in a
    hurry to get that engine open because I am sure some water got in there
    with all the pressure washing that I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -air_hose_a-jpg   -fuel_tank_a-jpg   -air_intake_a-jpg  

  3. #23
    Super Member mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,114
    Location
    In the civilized First World
    Tractor
    A couple

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Good grief, I always wondered how Deere got 10-gallons of fuel into that small volume; now I see how they did it with every nook and cranny filled with fuel. Isn't blow-molding a wonderful thing?

    I have the Deere shop manual; but I've never read how to get the valve cover off to do a valve adjustment, and mine is coming up on the 500-hour mark for that maintenance service. I'm dreading to find out how much the dealer will charge me for that chore.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member JohnDeere4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Good grief, I always wondered how Deere got 10-gallons of fuel into that small volume; now I see how they did it with every nook and cranny filled with fuel. Isn't blow-molding a wonderful thing?

    I have the Deere shop manual; but I've never read how to get the valve cover off to do a valve adjustment, and mine is coming up on the 500-hour mark for that maintenance service. I'm dreading to find out how much the dealer will charge me for that chore.
    Can you imagine what it would have looked like if Deere went with a 12 or 15-gallon.

    Yea blow-molding is so wonderful.

    mjncad,
    (What year is yours ?)

    (Is your tractor acting in a way that it needs a valve adjustment ?)


    My tractor is a 01-model with over 800-hours.... The service that i have done is all fluid, oil, filters, cleaned the suction screen, checked all hoses and other maintenance.

    I haven't ever done the "valve adjustment" and my tractor runs as good as the day they delivered it, and i really don't know how a 4300 would act to need this part of the service done

    mjncad or dfkrug,

    Should i be getting the "valve adjustment" done with the hours i have on it ??

    I don't have the shop manual but i need to get one.
    John 3:16

    01 JohnDeere4300 "Sync-Reverser", Vertical Exhaust, 2 JD Lawn Tractors, JD Walk Behind.

    430-FEL/ 47-Backhoe/ 5' Bush-Hog/ Single Bottom Plow/ 6' Disc/ Aerator Spreader/ HF Quick-Hitch!

    (Homemade Stuff) BH Thumb/ Log-Hitch/ 10' Boom-Pole/ 42'' Pallet Forks ''FEL Quick Attach & 3PH Quick-Hitch-Attach''/ Ballast Box 1381 lbs./ Aluminum Canopy/ Brush-Guard Mod/ 5x10 Firewood Trailer/ Lawn Striper.

  5. #25
    Veteran Member JohnDeere4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by dfkrug View Post
    Once I got the loader off, I went thru a second session with the pressure
    washer. I cleaned off buckets of dirt, while removing the few remaining
    body panels, seat, floor boards, radiator, etc. (And that 100 lb nose
    protector.)

    And here is my "eureka moment". The report on this tractor was that it
    ran, but very poorly, with lots of black smoke. The air filters were correct
    and in place, so the cause of the engine failure was unknown. Until now.
    The first photo shows a split in the air hose between the air filter housing
    and the air intake mainifold. The culprit hose, which is open to dirt, is
    pinched between the fuel tank and the valve cover. The split was invisible
    until I cleaned things up and started to remove the bracket that holds the
    filter housing.

    Now I need to get the fuel tank out to get access to the valve cover and
    the air intake manifold. I have never seen such a difficult to remove tank!
    I had to remove the steering system support, PS hard lines, instrument
    cluster, fuse panel, numerous brackets, and the 2-sided brake pedals. The
    pedals pivot on a shaft that goes through the middle of the the fuel tank!
    JD was willing to do ANYTHING to get 10 gallons of fuel in there it seems.
    I give Deere a LOT of credit for putting a fuel drain in the tank. Every CUT
    I have rebuilt has had sludge in the bottom of the tank, and this is the first
    time I have had a drain petcock. The jar shows the last bits of liquid I
    removed thru the drain. I had to blow into the drain a few times to get
    the last to come out.
    I have been following your work on this & trying to learn from it, but after reading what you have to take off just to get to the valve cover, i starting to fill a little ill.... The picture with the sludge in the jar really looks bad.

    What made it smoke a lot with black smoke ??

    From the sound of it you have done a lot of rebuilds, but this is the first one I've seen you do.... After you complete the rebuilds, do you sell them or keep them around for your use ??

    You should have bought the "broken in half 4300s"

    I really liked the 100 lb. nose protector, and really that's the first time I've seen one.

    Thanks for sharing your work!
    John 3:16

    01 JohnDeere4300 "Sync-Reverser", Vertical Exhaust, 2 JD Lawn Tractors, JD Walk Behind.

    430-FEL/ 47-Backhoe/ 5' Bush-Hog/ Single Bottom Plow/ 6' Disc/ Aerator Spreader/ HF Quick-Hitch!

    (Homemade Stuff) BH Thumb/ Log-Hitch/ 10' Boom-Pole/ 42'' Pallet Forks ''FEL Quick Attach & 3PH Quick-Hitch-Attach''/ Ballast Box 1381 lbs./ Aluminum Canopy/ Brush-Guard Mod/ 5x10 Firewood Trailer/ Lawn Striper.

  6. #26
    Elite Member dfkrug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,631
    Location
    NorCal
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by johndeere4300 View Post
    Should i be getting the "valve adjustment" done with the hours i have on it ??
    Valve adjustment? Well the maintenance schedule prob does call for them....
    I do not know the frequency. If an engine goes a REALLY long time without
    adjustment, eventually you can get valves that do not fully close, so you
    get a loss of compression, resulting in hard starting, and maybe even burnt
    exhaust valves. Or the lash gets greater, which is not as big of a concern. On a gas engine, you can hear excessive lash (tick, tick, tick), but it is hard
    to hear on a Diesel.

    The bigger concern for you guys with a JD 4200/4300/4400, and maybe the
    4x10s is that you could be in for a split air hose. This event will cause
    the engine to eat dust, eroding your cylinders, with quick failure. As the
    engine starts to get lower and lower compression, it will be harder to start
    and you will get more black smoke, due to partially burned fuel. Checking
    your hose can only be done if you remove the fuel tank.

    BTW, draining your fuel and rinsing out the sludge is not hard at all, so you
    may want to do this bit of preventive maintenance.

  7. #27
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,490
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Thanks for sharing, and letting us experience this with you. I look forward to following along as you progress.
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

  8. #28
    Elite Member dfkrug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,631
    Location
    NorCal
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by johndeere4300 View Post
    From the sound of it you have done a lot of rebuilds, but this is the first one I've seen you do.... After you complete the rebuilds, do you sell them or keep them around for your use ??

    You should have bought the "broken in half 4300s"
    The B21 was the first tractor that I fully documented, but I have done
    numerous cars, trucks, m/cs, and tractors. I used the B21 for several
    months before selling it. I like to fully test the finished rebuilds, as well
    as use them with implements not currently on my main tractor. I don't
    like changing implements if I do not have to. So the JD I will use for a
    while, then put out the word to my network that I have a machine for sale.
    If that does not sell it, I will list the machine on Craigs or eBay. (I still
    want a broken NewHolland w/HST, BTW.)

    When I posted the thread about the 2 broken machines on eBay, I was
    stunned, as I had just ordered $2500 in JD parts. Too late to buy those
    machines, though I would have jumped at them earlier!

  9. #29
    Veteran Member JohnDeere4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by dfkrug View Post
    Valve adjustment? Well the maintenance schedule prob does call for them....
    I do not know the frequency. If an engine goes a REALLY long time without
    adjustment, eventually you can get valves that do not fully close, so you
    get a loss of compression, resulting in hard starting, and maybe even burnt
    exhaust valves. Or the lash gets greater, which is not as big of a concern. On a gas engine, you can hear excessive lash (tick, tick, tick), but it is hard
    to hear on a Diesel.

    The bigger concern for you guys with a JD 4200/4300/4400, and maybe the
    4x10s is that you could be in for a split air hose. This event will cause
    the engine to eat dust, eroding your cylinders, with quick failure. As the
    engine starts to get lower and lower compression, it will be harder to start
    and you will get more black smoke, due to partially burned fuel. Checking
    your hose can only be done if you remove the fuel tank.

    BTW, draining your fuel and rinsing out the sludge is not hard at all, so you
    may want to do this bit of preventive maintenance.
    Thanks for all the info!

    I will have to do some checking on that.
    John 3:16

    01 JohnDeere4300 "Sync-Reverser", Vertical Exhaust, 2 JD Lawn Tractors, JD Walk Behind.

    430-FEL/ 47-Backhoe/ 5' Bush-Hog/ Single Bottom Plow/ 6' Disc/ Aerator Spreader/ HF Quick-Hitch!

    (Homemade Stuff) BH Thumb/ Log-Hitch/ 10' Boom-Pole/ 42'' Pallet Forks ''FEL Quick Attach & 3PH Quick-Hitch-Attach''/ Ballast Box 1381 lbs./ Aluminum Canopy/ Brush-Guard Mod/ 5x10 Firewood Trailer/ Lawn Striper.

  10. #30
    Super Member mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,114
    Location
    In the civilized First World
    Tractor
    A couple

    Default Re: John Deere 4300 complete rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by johndeere4300 View Post
    Can you imagine what it would have looked like if Deere went with a 12 or 15-gallon.

    Yea blow-molding is so wonderful.

    mjncad,
    (What year is yours ?)

    (Is your tractor acting in a way that it needs a valve adjustment ?)


    My tractor is a 01-model with over 800-hours.... The service that i have done is all fluid, oil, filters, cleaned the suction screen, checked all hoses and other maintenance.

    I haven't ever done the "valve adjustment" and my tractor runs as good as the day they delivered it, and i really don't know how a 4300 would act to need this part of the service done

    mjncad or dfkrug,

    Should i be getting the "valve adjustment" done with the hours i have on it ??

    I don't have the shop manual but i need to get one.
    My 4200 is a 2001 and has about 485 hours on it. As I recall the owner's manual says to get a valve adjustment every 500-hours. Mine runs just fine, and although I'm not fanatical about maintenance, especially washing my vehicles, I do try to stay on top of the mechanical stuff. Like you I've done fluids, filters and grease on a regular basis; but knock on wood that's it.

    Since I added the front posts for my canopy and there are wires running through them, removing the fuel tank could become even more of a hassle than normal.

    I would have accepted a gallon or two less fuel capacity in exchange for less hassle to get the valve cover off. Although most of us don't put 500-hours on our CUT's very quickly, there are places like rental yards that do, and taking a machine out of service for a few days to do a routine maintenance chore seems silly.

    I'm using a few days as a guess depending on a dealer's service backlog, or a DIY'ers skill at working on their machines.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.