NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #1  

siata208

I have a 2003 New Holland TC45 gear drive with very low hours (<200). Everything was fine when I parked it last week. Now the clutch won't disengage. I can crank it, but I cannot get it into gear. The forward / reverse and gear selector levers don't grind but wont go into gear. The range lever grinds. I should say that any one of the levers will go into gear as long as at least one of the others is in neutral. They just won't all go into gear at the same time. Any ideas?

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #2  
Stuck clutch, pain in the butt. I have the same problem from time to time with my tc40.

When mine sticks, I have found the following is a quick, probably not shop approved method for fixing it.
Shift to low range, start the tractor. FORCE the forward/reverse shifter toward the forward direction. When you are rolling, curl the front end loader down, bury the bucket, and step on the clutch.

The force of the tractor trying to climb over itself has been enough in the past to unstick mine.

Another unapproved method would be to bypass the nuetral safety switch, allowing you to start in gear. I'd bet if you had a plow on the back, it wouldn't take long to break the clutch loose by stepping on the pedal while you were plowing.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here with better suggestions, but these are my 2 cents

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #3  
Do those TC come with the little block of wood on a string that you are supposed to put under the floorboard to hold the clutch down a little to prevent this from happening? I know my older 2120 did and I basically never use it and occasionally it sticks. You need to start in neutral and jam in gear with out clutch (it can be done) and then push as hard as you can and work the clutch pedal up and down. Block it when fixed.

Andy

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage
First, to Andy, the TC45 did not come with the block you describe. However, since the tractor often sits for a month or more in the winter, I may make one to use when I park it in the barn. How much does yours depress the clutch? Next, to Poda, that was exactly what I needed. Took about 1/2 hour, and I tore the heck out of the old road I was digging on before it finally broke free. Thank you sir. When I speak of you, I will say good things.

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #5  
You needn't say good things, sharing advice is what we are all here for.

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #6  
First, to Andy, the TC45 did not come with the block you describe. However, since the tractor often sits for a month or more in the winter, I may make one to use when I park it in the barn. How much does yours depress the clutch? Next, to Poda, that was exactly what I needed. Took about 1/2 hour, and I tore the heck out of the old road I was digging on before it finally broke free. Thank you sir. When I speak of you, I will say good things.

Just enough to disengage, I long ago lost mine but I would guess 1/2 to 1 "

Andy

/ NH TC45 Clutch Wont Disengage #7  
I thought I should post an update to this very old thread. I've been too busy for the last few years to get in any real tractor time. The clutch has been stuck several times, because I forget to block it. The final nail in the coffin was when my wife loaned my tractor to a neighbor who said it worked good for a while, but then the speed control on the left stopped working so good? (Yeah, he cranked up the hand throttle and used the clutch to control the speed of travel-on the bright side, I never have to think about anything I own being loaned to anybody ever again). I made the mistake of thinking that with a brand new clutch, I would be stick free for a while-wrong. It only took 10 days of sitting for the clutch to rust together (broke free just by hitting the brakes with the clutch depressed). So, if your clutch is stuck and somebody tells you a new clutch will fix it, walk away and save your money.