Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 325,Gt225,, 110, XUV550S4, Kubota L275

Default tires

Anybody try using industrial or turf tires on the front and ags on the back? Been thinking about changing the front tires on my 7260 to something a little "less aggressive". I have 12.4 x 24's on the back and they don't seem to bother, but the front ones like to cut in.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

Default Re: tires

If you mean cutting into grass, then try reversing tread on front. It is supposed to help. And you'll be able to back out out of material piles better.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 230

I have Ag tires on the back and industrials on the front on my tractor (Massey Ferguson 230). I use it on the farm and have had no problems with that configuration. I do not have a FEL nor does the tractor have 4 wheel drive. I assume that those would be considerations in a decision to run one this way. I bought the tractor in this configuration, and until I either wear them out or need the ribbed tires to hold a line while using the tractor, I plan to leave the industrials on the front.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    '78 Kubota B6100DT

I have Turfs on the back and Ags on the front of my4wd kubota B6100. All filled with anti-freeze.
    I replaced the rear Ags when I got the tractor. The Turfs are wider and bigger than the ags were so this increases the stability. When I need added traction, I engage the 4wd and get the 4wd traction plus the traction of the front Ags. When I REALLY need traction, I fill the FEL to put more weight on the front tires.

I think its a good versatile combination and have not seen any scuffing of my grass except when I have a full FEL and make a tight turn.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Did you keep the same front to rear tire ratio for the 4wd when you mixed the ags and the turfs?

Soundguy

Been doing that for 10 years on a Yanmar 240D. The biggest problem was getting a tire with the right circumference.
    I mounted 3 different size tires before I got it right.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    '78 Kubota B6100DT

I did a lot of checking and measuring first but it was not easy to find data on the rolling circumference of various tires and I never could find the spec's on the ratio for my B6100. So my kubota dealer let me bring home a set of rear tires/wheels that "looked right" and check them out. With good instructions from folks here at TBN I measured the ratios of the Ag - Ag combo and the Ag - Turf combo and they came out nearly identical. I also ran about 1/4 mile on an asphalt road with 4wd engaged, stopped and dis-engaged the 4wd with no binding. So I'm pretty confident that I kept the same ratio.