John Deere Rotary Cutter Gearbox

/ John Deere Rotary Cutter Gearbox #1  

8960_Miskin

The output shaft broke on my MX6. Does anyone know if there is place anywhere that salvages mower parts or gearboxes? My research has revealed that any other brand of mower would accept a generic gearbox for around $350-$400, but being a John Deere with a double hull I cannot use the generic gearbox because the output shaft is too short. The shaft alone is $450 from John Deere. The gearbox looks to the the same as those used on the batwing mowers as well. I have been mowing brush with a 6300 so I think I am overworking the mower a little. If I could get a heavier gearbox off a bigger mower I would do it. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ John Deere Rotary Cutter Gearbox #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

The MX6 is one heavy duty cutter! I would say that your shear pin or slipper clutch (if adjusted properly) should have protected the output shaft...

I don't know where else you would get the shaft from other than JD.

/ John Deere Rotary Cutter Gearbox
Thanks, I would think that as many mowers as there are around someone would have some used gearboxes. I guess there just isn't that much market for them. I bought the MX6 because it was so heavy, but now I realize I should have bought a 609. I guess when they say it only cuts 2" brush they know what they are talking about!