Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I have an 038 from 1986 that is run VERY infrequently. When I start it it runs and will hold an idle too. When I cut Ash and other trees it does not seem to be giving the chain enough oil. When I need it to cut fast it often slows or bogs down, and I have to pull it from the cut and run it fast to get it to regain its power. I'm wondering if it is a carb adjustment due to changes in today's gas vs. 1986 vintage?
Air filter is clean, replaced vent hose off tank- it was soft and fell apart. Completely cleaned all the passageways for the oil to run to the chain/bar.
Stumped:confused:
Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks...
(Also replaced the cam tooth for the recoil starter with the dual tooth style- now it starts when I pull the cord instead of just allowing the cord to pull out with no engine turnover).

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed #2  
I would guess the carb is gummed up causing the engine issues. There is an adjustment for the bar oiler, have you tried cranking it up a bit? Good luck, hope you get it going.

John

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed #3  
There is a plastic oiler gear that wears out in those vintage of saws. Most often folks don't clean out the oil hole in the bar itself. I use a bar cleaning tool to drag down the chain channel in the bar to get out all of the caked in sawdust also. Then clean or replace the the nose wheel at the end of the bar if it is worn out. Those get gummed up and are hard to turn which makes the engine work harder.
If you have a compressor with air nozzle maybe take and blow out behind the clutch and oil channel. Wear some glasses when blowing that stuff out.
Any saw that old is bound to have issues with fuel lines and filters. This new ethanol mixed gas doesn't help. Also make sure to use premium gas always in your saws and 2 stroke motors. An 038 should have an oil flow adjustment I believe. Maybe on the bottom of the saw?
Makes sure your bar isn't worn out along the rails maybe. I flip the bar over when ever I swap on a sharp chain. That helps even out the wear on the bar itself.

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed
New Toy,
I know about the 1 turn for the h & L screws for the carb, do you know about where to set the LA screw?
I believe the big screw head on the bottom of the saw body allows for more or less oil? Do you know what its range is from one side to the other as far as how far to turn it to get more or less oil? Or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Treemonkey1000,
Where is the plastic oiler gear you refer to? Is it internal and if so how difficult to get to it?
I do actually clean the entire bar and the Rollamatic nose wheel, having been a tree surgeon a very long time ago in a past life:eek: In fact exactly what you said is what I did yesterday before testing the saw and it was not spraying the oil like it should off the bar end when running it at wide open.
What mix ratio would you use in this saw vintage?
Everything has changed to the newer oils and ratios and I'm somewhat lost as to knowing what might be best for this vintage. It is virtually brand new, except it is old. It has maybe 20 hours use on it total since 1986!

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed #6  
Any saw that old is bound to have issues with fuel lines and filters. This new ethanol mixed gas doesn't help. Also make sure to use premium gas always in your saws and 2 stroke motors.

A slight crack in the fuel line on my saw caused the same problems. Replaced it and it's like a new saw.

/ Stihl: 038 poor oiling & bogs when cutting at high speed #7  
First thing you should know is the 038 AV is a GREAT saw and worth spending some money on to get it up in shape. I would start by taking the bar and chain off and make sure the rails of the bar are clean. Dump out any bar oil in the tank and but some fuel mix in and swish it around to clean out any crud. As for the running issue it sounds like something is plugged up in the high speed side of the carb. You might add some Sea Foam to some fresh 40:1 mix and running it for at least full tank. Or take it to a good Stihl dealer with a gold level technician and spend some money on her and get her in shape. Buy some of the new Stihl Ultra Synthetic mix oil and use it at 50:1, it has stabilizer built in so the fuel shouldn't go bad in your saw. Is you saw a 038 AV, 038 Super, or Magnum? They are all great just different variations.