dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control?

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Got a friend at work that has a dodge grand carivan.. 04 or 05 maybee... ABS lamp went on on dash.. and trac control lamp is on saying trac off.

I've seen ford traction control that pulsed the brakes.. etc.. guessing this is the same.. and that there is some issue with the abs that is disabling the trac control.

any ideas on problem or fix. I'm trying to help her out with ideas.. she's got not much $$ to spend.. etc...

soundguy

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #2  
I've got a 95 Grand caravan in tip top shape. I never had the issue she's having but last time I changed the front brake pads, I noticed the sending device that senses the rotational speed of the Drive shaft. The hub that rotate with the CV joint does have teeth that along with the sensor figures locked rotor condition. The wire to the sensor may be busted or the small sensor it self defective. I'd start from there since is the easiest and most obvious.

JC,

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #3  
A check of the op manual may give you or her
a clue where to look, or run it to some of the
auto parts places that will pull codes with
the OBD11 code reader. That will give a better
idea of where to look.
If an ABS sensor is bad, then other systems
tied to wheel speed sensing won't work either.

In our Sienna van, the check engine light came on
along with a traction control and vehicle skid control light,
all because of a faulty purge solonied valve in the charcoal
cannister........ but the code reader told me where to start.

good luck

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control?
thanks guys.

soundguy

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #5  
As the others said Chris, check out the diagnostics. Around here, Advanced Auto has code readers that they let you borrow in their parking lot for free. Traction Control uses the same hardware as ABS so if one goes down they both go down. There are also troubleshooting tables in the service manuals, the codes aren't always as specific as you'd like. Good luck!

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #6  
Most ODBII readers won't read ABS codes, you may need to go to more than a parts store...

But pulling the code(s) is the place to start. It doesn't take much to get an ABS light on, a burnt out brake light or a sticking parking brake pedal will do it.

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #7  
It could be a wheel speed sensor, but more probably an ABS module/pump. The two lights (ABS and Traction Control) are most likely due to the same reason. Here in Texas, AutoZone will scan your problem for free and will help interpret what the codes mean. Typically, dealerships will scan for $80 to $100.

I have a used car/vehicle business and we've had to replace several of the ABS modules on Caravans. They get pretty extreme heat due to the location of the unit. If it turns out to be the module, look on Ebay for the unit. There are many good parts from reputable sellers that will save you big bucks. I put "2004 ABS module 2004 Caravan" in the main page search and came up with several from Powersellers with very high approval ratings, around $140.

Good luck Soundguy.

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control?
thanks.. will post back when I know something.

soundguy

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #9  
ABS controls trac control. One wheel slip abs puts brake on that tire thereby causing other tire to turn.
Check out the yahoo group for caravans, its very good.
good luck Vince
Kubota GF1800
2004 grand caravan ex 150k
1994 caravan 280k

/ dodge grand carivan ABS/trac control? #10  
Those years the sensor ring would rust to pieces inside the rear hub. I've replaced several of them. Get under the van, the rear sensor is held in by a clip. Pull the sensor out and look inside. If it's rusted pretty bad it won't work, so you'll have to replace the whole hub. Also look at the front sensor rings. I can't remember if those ones are on the axle or not but if they are stick your finger on the ring. It'll be mounted to the outer cv joint. If you can move it the ring is cracked somewhere. I've never welded one with success yet.