John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem?

/ John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem? #1  

pmayrose

Hi All,

I have a John Deere 212 that runs decently downhill and on level ground for the most part. When I mow up a slight (around 5-10 degree) grade in forward or reverse, it slows and eventually stops and makes a loud squealing noise. I don't think the problem is with the mowing deck or the PTO clutch. I am fairly certain that the problem is in the drive clutch, but I don't know too much about it.
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the problem and if so, where I should start looking at it to fix?

Thanks,

Phil

/ John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem? #2  
It sure sounds like the clutch is slipping. Do you have any free play in the clutch pedal? It may be able to be adjusted, I have never worked on a clutch so I cant help you there. Also you may want to try and not use it till you can see about how it needs to be fixed, hopefully you havent allready burnt the clutch.

/ John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem? #3  
Hi All,

I have a John Deere 212 that runs decently downhill and on level ground for the most part. When I mow up a slight (around 5-10 degree) grade in forward or reverse, it slows and eventually stops and makes a loud squealing noise. I don't think the problem is with the mowing deck or the PTO clutch. I am fairly certain that the problem is in the drive clutch, but I don't know too much about it.
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the problem and if so, where I should start looking at it to fix?

Thanks,

Phil
I see this question is a year old, and being new to this forum, I don't know if this will get read. I too have a 212 with the same problem. It is caused by a loose drive belt (between the engine and the trans). What I can't see is how to tighten it. There is very little pressure on the idler wheel and the tension spring is not tight. But everything is buried under metal. Does this have to be taken all apart just to tighten a belt?
Thanks, --Peter

/ John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem? #4  
Doesn't the 212 have 2 drive belts with a variator lever, similar to the older 110/112? If so, that system functions on relative tension between the two belts. In my experience, if the machine will move with the variator in the high speed (forward) position, but not in the slower (rearward) position, the belts are worn. The solution is replacement of the belts.

/ John Deere 212 - possible clutch problem? #5  
yankeerider is right. And I would first suspect that the middle "sheave" of the variator is not sliding easily on the shaft which lets one of the belts hang up and slip.

Try putting your toe under the clutch pedal and pulling back on it, as well as moving the variable speed lever (right side) back and forth. It may free up.

Here is a breakdown of the parts (note there are two listings depending on s/n, and this is the first set.

Attachments

• 212_variator.JPG
    212_variator.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,537