Ford 800 series fuel problem

/ Ford 800 series fuel problem #1  

rryan

Last year we purchased a Ford 800 series tractor. When we´ve tried to use the tractor this year we found it wouldn't keep going. We drained all the fuel and replaced it. After starting it, it seemed to run about 30 minutes just fine. We put our brush hog on and it ran for a few minutes but then it stalled again. There´s an adjustment screw at the bottom of the fuel tank. When the brass screw is closed and opened it seems to run fine in idle but if you try to throttle up the gas goes once again. We did notice that the shut off valve in the gas line leaks a little when it´s open. We have no idea if there are fuel screens that may be clogged or where those would be located. Having very limited knowledge about tractors, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

/ Ford 800 series fuel problem #2  
Thereエs an adjustment screw at the bottom of the fuel tank. When the brass screw is closed and opened it seems to run fine in idle but if you try to throttle up the gas goes once again. Thanks so much!

The screw at the bottom of the tank is actually a shut off valve. From the sound of your post the shut off valve or the pickup in the bottom of the tank is clogged. Remove all fuel lines and clean them out plus remove the tank if you can and remove any sedement in the bottom of it. As far as the leaking from the other shut off you talked about it must have been added as an extra. I would suggest finding a replacement for it.

/ Ford 800 series fuel problem #3  
I've been fighting with mine for years. This year I finally got it going correctly...

Even with the fuel line replaced and the screen removed in the tank, I still had the trouble. This spring I removed and cleaned all of the adjustment screws and jets. At the same time, I blew air through the line from the bottom.

I'm guessing that blowing out the line cleared something out at the shut-off. Just typing here, I'm wondering if it's the bad o-ring that has broken off and plugged the opening a bit, since mine leaks as well.

One of the things that makes me think that the problem wasn't so much with the jets is that I could here "bubbling" in the gas tank when the tractor stalled. Since I've blown it out, I haven't heard that once.

Good luck!

/ Ford 800 series fuel problem #4  
There is trash/sediment in the tank that is causing the tractor to "starve" for fuel because the flow is restricted. When not running, the carburetor bowl will fill up. This allows the tractor to run normally for a few minutes until the bowl on the carb is empty. The more load you put on the engine (i.e. using the rotary cutter) or the faster you run it, the quicker it will use the gas in the carb bowl.

Most of these tractors had a sediment bowl on the side of the carburetor. Since this bowl should be glass, you can usually see the engine suck it dry. After the engine dies, you can sometimes watch the bowl refill.

The Ford 800 series came with a screen in the tank to help pre-screen the fuel. To remove the screen, you will have to remove the hood, then drain and remove the fuel tank. The brass "adjustment screw" you referred to is actually the fuel cutoff. The cutoff is mounted with 2 screws to the tank. When you remove the cutoff, there should be a brass screen attached to the top of it. It's not uncommon for this screen to come off in the tank. Without the screen, the trash/sediment will block the hole in the cutoff and restrict the flow. You can blow back through the fuel line "gently" with an air hose and usually clear the clog. But this is just a patch, it doesn't fix the problem.

I would remove the tank, flush it well, and install a new cutoff (if needed).

As said before, the leaking cutoff has been added and should be removed or replaced.

Mike

/ Ford 800 series fuel problem #5  
ditto that.. plus those screens coroda and disolve after time.. letting the valve plug up even more.

repalce valve and get the new screen... while the valve packing oring is replaceable with alot of hand work.. t's easier to simply replace if the screen is missing..

soundguy