Battery Acid & Paint

/ Battery Acid & Paint #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
While servicing tractor I noticed that the battery had slobbered enough acid to really make a mess out of the plate that it sits on and all the retaining hardware. Having not much better to do I decided to R&R battery, battery mount plate and all the hardware. I thoroughly wire brushed and sanded everything down good and applied primer. Next day I applied Rustoleum Red paint, several light coats and it turned out looking pretty slick. Everything used to be black but I thought a little red would look good under the hood. You can't see it with the hood closed but when you open it, that red is working. I still have the original battery and it's going strong, when it need's replacing I'll go with one of those gel type to help keep that acid from sloshing all over the place. I'll get a few pic's tomorrow.

John

/ Battery Acid & Paint #2  
I just hate when that happens. My battery is way in the front, hood has to come off to do a proper clean up. Be a good winter project. I had not heard of the gel battery but one will be on the shopping list.

/ Battery Acid & Paint
A few red pic's..

Attachments

• tractor pic's 003.jpg
    tractor pic's 003.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 454
  • tractor pic's 006.jpg
    tractor pic's 006.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 336
   / Battery Acid & Paint #4  
Get a "Battery Mat" ebay, autozone, JC Whitney, etc. Thick fiber mat yellow, impregnated with alkalai.

Here is a Battery plate after 4 yrs with cheap battery and a battery mat:

Attachments

• kioti cooler install complete.jpg
    kioti cooler install complete.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 401
   / Battery Acid & Paint
Get a "Battery Mat" ebay, autozone, JC Whitney, etc. Thick fiber mat yellow, impregnated with alkalai.

Here is a Battery plate after 4 yrs with cheap battery and a battery mat:

I had never heard of a "battrey mat", sounds like a good idea. I think my battery is done sloshing the fluid out. I have never had to add any water to it and it still covers the plates but must be low enought not to get spit out anymore. I haven't noticed any acid on my new paint job.

John

/ Battery Acid & Paint #8  
For spilled battery acid you should mix up some baking soda and water and pour or brush it on the area affected to neutralize the acid before painting.