Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do?

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #1  

coreyblaine

We have a Massey Ferg. 165 and this morning the 3pt arm was being raised and the cast iron broke right off.

To best describe where the problem is... Where the left pin goes through two cast iron rings that is part of the cast iron left axle where the left 3 point arm attaches to the tractor. The left of the two cast iron rings broke.

I had a welder look at it and said he could cut grooves and use a nickel rod to try and weld it back on, but being cast iron, probably wouldn't last.

Talked with a tractor salvage, and to have replace the entire left axle side, but thats going to run over 800 for a used one...

Any ideas you might have?

I have pictures of what it looks like where it broke off, would be more than happy to send an email with them to get your tractor expertise... thanks,

Corey, email: coreyblaine@gmail.com

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #2  
I had both of mine break because of ignorance on my part. Luckily my dealer fixed it under warranty. I did look around and saw a few that had been welded but were generally bigger tractors than mine with a lot more surface area to work with. Mine's a Kuboto L2800 and I didn't think it would hold on mine.

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do?
Thank you for the response. Did they replace the entire wheel axle or weld it?

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #4  
We have a Massey Ferg. 165 and this morning the 3pt arm was being raised and the cast iron broke right off.

To best describe where the problem is... Where the left pin goes through two cast iron rings that is part of the cast iron left axle where the left 3 point arm attaches to the tractor. The left of the two cast iron rings broke.

I had a welder look at it and said he could cut grooves and use a nickel rod to try and weld it back on, but being cast iron, probably wouldn't last.

Talked with a tractor salvage, and to have replace the entire left axle side, but thats going to run over 800 for a used one...

Any ideas you might have?

I have pictures of what it looks like where it broke off, would be more than happy to send an email with them to get your tractor expertise... thanks,

Corey, email: coreyblaine@gmail.com

Well, you have one of the rings remaining. I would rig up some type of clevis to attach to the lower lift arm and use a pin to hold the clevis/arm to that ring on the axle.

Or you could weld up a duplicate of the busted ring out of mild steel on a stout steel bar (3/8" x 2"x 18" L, for example) and then rig up a clamp that goes around the axle and holds that assembly in place.

Either way, unfortunately, you're probably going to sacrifice considerable lift capacity on the 3pt.

Welding on cast iron is a pain even for an expert welder.

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #5  
A good weld should be able to repare your axle housing, but you may have to disassemble it. I have seen them repaired and hold for a long time.

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #7  
i would suggest you have a very competent welder assess your broken part. a heavy bracket that would bolt together around axle housing should work without a problem. would need some way to register on axle, or stay where you put it and not twist, has to be heavy enough, and align with other pin hole. making such a part wouldnt be too difficult for a skilled craftsman. your local machine shop should be able to refer you to somebody that can help. i certainly would not reccomend using the one you have left by itself. one heavy implement and you would have 2 broken. good luck

/ Massey Ferg 165 3pt cast iron part broke, what can i do? #8  
I had a local welder weld some parts on my 135 and they held up just fine. They experimented a bit first to find the best rod, including breaking it over again once:eek:. I would get it welded and thewn start to look around for a replacement -- parts always seem cheaper when you don't really need them:eek: