Default Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power

Two track shafts on a track loader are frozen due to previous owner not greasing. I've been soaking the zerk fitting holes for days, but the pb-blaster is not even starting to penetrate.

Has anyone used a porta power to force lightweight fluid (aka kroil/pbb) into zerk holes? Is there an attachment that draws fluid from a container and forces into a hole?

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power

what about using an actual zerk cleaner with the kroil?

Zerk-Mate Grease Fitting / Joint Cleaner - Alemite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -339841_med-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post

Zerk-Mate Grease Fitting / Joint Cleaner - Alemite
    It's not the zerk I'm working on.. the zerks have been removed (and are replaced with new fittings). I need to force kroil inside the 1/8" threaded zerk holes.. the more pressure the better.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Have you tried a high pressure grease gun? Porta powers are what 10K psi? A good grease gun is 10K too, some 12k are available

What about heating the area and trying to grease it?

If you want to use kroil in the portapower, youd have to replace the hydraulic oil with it, then rig up an adapter to go from the porta power jack to 1/8 npt. I believe porta power jacks are 3/8"npt.

Maybe try kroil in your grease gun? Youd likely have to hold the gun upside down as the plunger wont work.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

I think it might be easier to unscrew the hose from your grease gun and replace it with a short 1/8 NPT nipple which is the screwed into the 1/8 NPT grease hole that usually accepts the zerk on your track.

With the grease gun direct connected like that, I bet it would really squirt the grease in there.

Get the nipple full of grease and then heat it. The gun would still be working on cold grease so it would develop pressure as usual, but you would be forcing hot grease into the track.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Queen- I already linked you to a thread where I used a portapower in your other thread about this topic.
    here is a link to that in case you missed it-
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...ing-shaft.html
    and within that response is the link to my original portapower/grease fitting story-
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ml#post1384936

The portapower has no way to pick up another fluid. Just fill the hose and let the portapower fluid force the hose full into the fittings. If you need more than one hose full just disconnect, dump the portapower fluid, ATF in mine, out and refill the hose.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Skyco; 07-22-2009 at 06:11 AM.

If you want to use kroil in the portapower, youd have to replace the hydraulic oil with it, then rig up an adapter to go from the porta power jack to 1/8 npt. I believe porta power jacks are 3/8"npt.

Maybe try kroil in your grease gun? Youd likely have to hold the gun upside down as the plunger wont work.

I made my adapter by simply removing one of the portapower couplers from an accessory ram and screwing the grease hose into that. Then one simply plugs that into the portapower hose coupling. See my post above about filling the hose with Kroil to allow the portapower fluid to "power" it in.

Kroil is so thin I wonder if the grease gun plunger will pump it without it leaking by the seals? It might if you don't mind dumping $10 worth of Kroil in to try it

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Zerk-Mate Grease / Joint Cleaner -
    Because he's trying to clean the hole the zerk goes in rather than the zerk
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by Skyco View Post
    I made my adapter by simply removing one of the portapower couplers from an accessory ram and screwing the grease hose into that. Then one simply plugs that into the portapower hose coupling. See my post above about filling the hose with Kroil to allow the portapower fluid to "power" it in.

Kroil is so thin I wonder if the grease gun plunger will pump it without it leaking by the seals? It might if you don't mind dumping $10 worth of Kroil in to try it
    Good idea filling the hose instead of the pump. Kroil is pretty $$$. I wondered myself about whether the grease pump could handle the extremely low viscosity of the Kroil.

Personally, if i cant get grease into the joint with my high pressure gun i try some heat and repositioning the joint if possible. If that fails, its disassembly / modification time.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Kroil is hard on seals too so I second keeping it out of portapower pump it self.

Did you try a drill by hand in the zerk hole to screw out the old grease?

another thing is to put a barb fitting in Zerk hole push a piece of hose in and fill hose with Kroil and let it sit for days keeping it filled maybe it will work it self in.
    I'd spray the track joints down too any place it might work its way in.

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington