Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
Two track shafts on a track loader are frozen due to previous owner not greasing. I've been soaking the zerk fitting holes for days, but the pb-blaster is not even starting to penetrate.

Has anyone used a porta power to force lightweight fluid (aka kroil/pbb) into zerk holes? Is there an attachment that draws fluid from a container and forces into a hole?

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #2  

Attachments

• 339841_med.jpg
    339841_med.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 304
   / Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #4  
Have you tried a high pressure grease gun? Porta powers are what 10K psi? A good grease gun is 10K too, some 12k are available

What about heating the area and trying to grease it?

If you want to use kroil in the portapower, youd have to replace the hydraulic oil with it, then rig up an adapter to go from the porta power jack to 1/8 npt. I believe porta power jacks are 3/8"npt.

Maybe try kroil in your grease gun? Youd likely have to hold the gun upside down as the plunger wont work.

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #5  
I think it might be easier to unscrew the hose from your grease gun and replace it with a short 1/8 NPT nipple which is the screwed into the 1/8 NPT grease hole that usually accepts the zerk on your track.

With the grease gun direct connected like that, I bet it would really squirt the grease in there.

Get the nipple full of grease and then heat it. The gun would still be working on cold grease so it would develop pressure as usual, but you would be forcing hot grease into the track.

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #6  
Queen- I already linked you to a thread where I used a portapower in your other thread about this topic.
here is a link to that in case you missed it-
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/148638-grease-fitting-not-taking-shaft.html
and within that response is the link to my original portapower/grease fitting story-
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/119945-bx24-bh-pivots-very-hard.html#post1384936

The portapower has no way to pick up another fluid. Just fill the hose and let the portapower fluid force the hose full into the fittings. If you need more than one hose full just disconnect, dump the portapower fluid, ATF in mine, out and refill the hose.
Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #7  
If you want to use kroil in the portapower, youd have to replace the hydraulic oil with it, then rig up an adapter to go from the porta power jack to 1/8 npt. I believe porta power jacks are 3/8"npt.

Maybe try kroil in your grease gun? Youd likely have to hold the gun upside down as the plunger wont work.

I made my adapter by simply removing one of the portapower couplers from an accessory ram and screwing the grease hose into that. Then one simply plugs that into the portapower hose coupling. See my post above about filling the hose with Kroil to allow the portapower fluid to "power" it in.

Kroil is so thin I wonder if the grease gun plunger will pump it without it leaking by the seals? It might if you don't mind dumping $10 worth of Kroil in to try it ;)

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #9  
I made my adapter by simply removing one of the portapower couplers from an accessory ram and screwing the grease hose into that. Then one simply plugs that into the portapower hose coupling. See my post above about filling the hose with Kroil to allow the portapower fluid to "power" it in.

Kroil is so thin I wonder if the grease gun plunger will pump it without it leaking by the seals? It might if you don't mind dumping $10 worth of Kroil in to try it ;)

Good idea filling the hose instead of the pump. Kroil is pretty $$$. I wondered myself about whether the grease pump could handle the extremely low viscosity of the Kroil.

Personally, if i cant get grease into the joint with my high pressure gun i try some heat and repositioning the joint if possible. If that fails, its disassembly / modification time.

/ Forcing Kroil into Zerks with a porta-power #10  
Kroil is hard on seals too so I second keeping it out of portapower pump it self.

Did you try a drill by hand in the zerk hole to screw out the old grease?

another thing is to put a barb fitting in Zerk hole push a piece of hose in and fill hose with Kroil and let it sit for days keeping it filled maybe it will work it self in.
I'd spray the track joints down too any place it might work its way in.

tom