New Backhoe Teeth?

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #1  

Rice Rider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4WD
I've had my BH76 Backhoe for almost three months and the teeth are worn down considerably due to the tremendous amount of rocks that are embedded in soil on my mountain property. It might be better to say that there is soil embedded in the rocks and some of you can truly understand this dilemma. I am considering two options. One option is to simply replace the teeth and the other would be to remove the teeth and have them built up by welding like most professionals do with their equipment. I have yet to price the new teeth but I was debating the cost and the convenience factor. It seems like you would have to use quite a few welding rods to build the individual teeth back up and I am assuming that you would want to use a higher grade rod than let's say an E6011 or a E6013. Later this summer I will have my shop built but I still don't own a welder although it is on my list. What is the TBN opinion on the cost benefit factor?

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #2  
Actrually 'pin on' teeth are not costly and fairly easy to replace.
Look up 'FABCO', my teeth for a tooth bar ran about $3.00 each, not including the holders (shanks).
Fabco Inc.

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #3  
It seems like you would have to use quite a few welding rods to build the individual teeth back up and I am assuming that you would want to use a higher grade rod than let's say an E6011 or a E6013.

If you have the Kubota BH75 hoe, you have fairly soft bolt-on cast steel
(or cast iron) teeth. My hoe had them before I made my own shanks and
went to $3 replaceable teeth with forged steel tips. I have lots of rocks, too.
Check out my thread, "bucket dentistry".

If you decide to try "hard-facing" welding rods, there are rods specially
made for that purpose.

/ New Backhoe Teeth?
I checked out the Fabco idea and found that they do not have a part that matches the Kubota Part #75590-42570 which is the backhoe tooth for the BH76A. They do carry a tooth that works for the Kubota#75590-42572 and that Fabco # is F0099HX. Here is the real bur under my saddle. The Fabco part is only $8.00 vice the Kubota price of $25.00 plus shipping of course. Apparently the good Kubota parts people have come up with a design that is similar and they are the only ones with the Gold key to the city. Rats:mad:

Last edited:
   / New Backhoe Teeth? #5  
I had the same problem with the teeth on my little JD hoe and was a little pixxed at the life expectancy (knowing other JD prices) until I found that they were $7 each at the dealer. PIA to install (the crimp type) but now I heat them with a torch to crimp, then tack with 6013. I also build up the backside where improper use around the rocks has worn them down. The cutting edge is hard enough that I see sparks on a regular basis when digging around rocks...

/ New Backhoe Teeth?
I also build up the backside where improper use around the rocks has worn them down. ...

Pat, What type of electrode are you using to build them back up with? Is the 7018 up to par or is there an electrode that is better for the job. I am picking up one of the Fabco bolt on teeth today and will compare it to the stock Kubota tooth to see if a simple mod can be made and save $46.50. If it turns out I cannot go this route, then I will reluctantly purchase the Kubota teeth and have time to buid up the old ones. Thanks

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #7  
Talk to your local welding supply dealer. He can recommend what you need. I would think that rebuilding the tooth with 7018 and then hardfacing the teeth with a hardfacing rod would be a way to go. If you go with new teeth, hard face them so they last longer.

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #8  
At $7 each they aren't worth trying to build up the cutting edge (in my case). The backside I just build with any rod thats handy, even good old 6013 (farmer's rod). I find that I only use one or two teeth/year. I was more inclined to have them fall off (improper hoe use) and get lost before I started tacking them on and keeping an eye on the wear.

/ New Backhoe Teeth?
If mine were only $7.00 per tooth, I too would just go buy more. At near $25.00 per tooth, I'm just looking for a way to prolong their life. I'll let you know if the replacement Fabco tooth at $12.00 per will fit.

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #10  
i doubt you could get a welder to fill them back out with high quality rod for less than the replacement cost.