Replacing a mower deck belt on a Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic

/ Replacing a mower deck belt on a Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic #1  

Greg Goodfellow

Gentlemen (and any ladies as well,), I'm a newbie here, so please be kind.

My younger brother is much more mechanically inclined as am I, and he gets tired of bugging him, so here goes...

What is the BEST way to replace a mower deck belt on this particular tractor? I'm going from front to back, but am having a very hard time slipping the belt over the deck pulley (unfortunately, not the strongest guy on the block). Any 'cheating' tips would be much appreciated. I'm assuming a 42" belt is needed.

Also, what is the best site online to get an owner's manual? I got this thing thirdhand, so no book was available.

Thanks!

Greg

/ Replacing a mower deck belt on a Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic #3  
Were you able go push in and latch the notched piece of steel that one of the front idler pulleys is attached to? If you push in and then down it will latch on one of the notches. This will give you more slack in the belt and you should be able to work it around the deck pulley. On my Cub Cadet, next to the above notched steel there is also a threaded "J" bolt that will give you more slack if you back off the nut. Sorry I haven't learned how to post pictures yet.

kj

/ Replacing a mower deck belt on a Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic
Thanks for the help, gentlemen! I may have gotten a belt a wee bit too small. I did everything you suggested. However, I admit to cheating-there were some kids next door doing some yard work. I told them the first one to put the belt on got twenty dollars. :D

Last edited:
   / Replacing a mower deck belt on a Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic #5  
The belt should allow the lever to be between two notches that tells you that the adjustment is right. Some with the belt being to tight have caused the pulley to goove the front axle and actually cause it to fail!!!