We are in a clutch ...

/ We are in a clutch ... #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
It would be more accurate to say that we are "out of a clutch."

Here's the deal ...

We have a Farmtrac 360 DTC with a front loader and a backhoe. It is a 2005 model. We use it mostly with the front loader. Last October it started working a bit odd. It seemed to have no power. I came here to the forum and asked for help. After several helpful suggestions, it was determined we had a burned clutch.

We had it repaired at a shop. They worked quickly and had the tractor back to operational status in very short order. The tractor worked fine for several months.

However, we once again have a burned clutch. :(

We have been very careful not to rest our foot on the clutch pedal while working with the tractor. We shift down to the lower range to use the front loader while scooping. We kept a check on the clutch adjustment.

The clutch was replaced in November 2008. It quit working last month. That is only about 8 months! :confused:

For economic reasons (I have been with almost no work or income since before the clutch was replaced) we have to do the clutch repair ourselves this time. I now have some work, but the income is much lower than I used to make.

We split the tractor and removed the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw-out-bearing and flywheel. I located a shop that rebuilds clutches not far from where we live. They were able to solve the pressure plate, throw-out-bearing and flywheel situation. However, they could not rebuild the disk. They also could not locate one through their sources.

I called a Montana dealer in our area and they say they can get the disk. However, we discovered the disk has a price that is quite high. Even the clutch shop (they service many heavy-duty clutches for semi-trucks and farm tractors) thought the price quoted for the disk was a bit on the high side.

This brings me here

I have two questions:

1. Is this clutch problem something that is typical of the Farmtrac 360 DTC if not, any suggestions to keep this from happening again?
  2. Does anyone have/know of a source where I can find the disk at a "reasonable price?"
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

/ We are in a clutch ... #2  
When you had it repaired the first time did they replace the clutch and pressure plate or just the clutch disk.If they just replaced the disk and the pressure plate was weak that would be the reason the new disk failed so quickly. Are you replacing the pressure plate this time? A good clutch shop can test the pressure of the pressure plate to tell if it is in spec. Any clutch if not abused should last a long time. My clutch has 2020 hrs on it with a FEL.
Bill

/ We are in a clutch ... #3  
This may or may not help. By accident, and a wrong part shipped for my International 3444 Industrial TLB I discovered that my input transmission splines were the same as the chevy heavy duty 3 speed, with granny gear. (some call it a 4 speed) manual transmission in my 3/4 ton truck. 1 1/8" by 11 splines I think. This was found out by the frustation of a wrong clutch disc shipped. Finding out it was the wrong one. Happened to spy a worn out 12" disc sitting on the barn shelf. Picking it up and slidding it onto the tractor trans input shaft. It fit perfect. My industrial clutch has the metallic pucks. 4 to be exact. I found in Jeg's, or Summit's performance catalog a 12" drag race spring center, with poly encased springs for shock loading, new metallic 6 puck disc for $143, plus shipping. Verse the "rebuilt" IH3444 dealer disc for $278, which did not fit. I returned it, and was refunded fully. Relief I know, after a special order item. The disc has been in place since 1989, and has performed just fine. I had the flywheel, and pressure plate skim cut to clean up. And everything has been fine since. I'm sure that a regular disc would have worked also, seeing that the metallic drag race clutch was good for up to 500hp. Hope this helps. See if you can just match up the input splines with an off the shelf disc, with the correct diameter. Maybe an american disc, japanese, whatever.:cool: Usually a clutch disc can be relined by drilling out the rivets, and purchasing new clutch material from a place such as McMaster car. Cut to size, and rerivet into place. Might not look pretty, but will work. Tractor rarely spin over 2500rpm, so balance in not to critical. Good Luck!;)

/ We are in a clutch ...
I didn't mean to stump everyone. I guess this common looking clutch disk must be a bit more of a problem then I thought.

To spell point two out a bit clearer:

The Montana dealer quoted a price of more than $250 PLUS a core of $65 (our disk may not be rebuildable)

The clutch shop where I had the rest of the work done quoted a price of $52 if they could have rebuilt the disk. If they could have matched the splines they said the disk should not cost more tahn $75.

After nearly a year without work, perhaps you can appreciate my situation. $315 is a long way from what the shop hoped to do for me.

Thanks again.

/ We are in a clutch ... #6  
4 to be exact. I found in Jeg's, or Summit's performance catalog a 12" drag race spring center, with poly encased springs for shock loading,thread insert helicoil new metallic 6 puck disc for $143, plus shipping. Verse the "rebuilt" IH3444 dealer disc for $278, which did not fit. I returned it, and was refunded fully. Relief I know, after a special order item. The disc has been in place since 1989, and has performed just fine. I had the flywheel, and pressure plate skim cut to clean up.Helicoil( HeliCoil Inserts ),Thread insert - Excellent Helicoil, Thread insert Suppliers

/ We are in a clutch ... #7  
I didn't mean to stump everyone. I guess this common looking clutch disk must be a bit more of a problem then I thought.

To spell point two out a bit clearer:

The Montana dealer quoted a price of more than $250 PLUS a core of $65 (our disk may not be rebuildable)

The clutch shop where I had the rest of the work done quoted a price of $52 if they could have rebuilt the disk. If they could have matched the splines they said the disk should not cost more tahn $75.

After nearly a year without work, perhaps you can appreciate my situation. $315 is a long way from what the shop hoped to do for me.

Thanks again.
Hello,
I am showing a 9 1/2" diaphragm clutch with a clutch disk with 1 3/16" hub 22 splines and spring center for a farmtac 360.
you are right the disk is costly for a 9 1/2" $178.00 and PPA is $114.
you can look at the parts from my web site Farm and Heavy Equipment Parts - ABC Repair Parts
If I can help drop me a line thru the site.
Thanks Ed

/ We are in a clutch ... #8  
This type of problem is why so many people are going with hydrostatic transmissions on tractors that are going to be used with a FEL. I feel for you, as I ran into a similar problem when I went to get my starter rebuilt. The shop I finally settled on quoted me a "never been more than" price, but when it came down to it, it was almost twice that. Having been unemployed for almost six months, it really hurt to pay the difference but I needed that starter. I quit doing business with them because of that. I tend to be a very loyal customer, but when I get my toes stepped on, I remember it, especially if you step on me when I am down.
Good luck in finding a suitable clutch disc, inexpensively.
David from jax

/ We are in a clutch ...
Update...

I tried the guys at Southbend Clutch. They had me send some picks and the info. They couldn't help.

I found Ky. Clutch. I called them. They looked it up and figured they could repair it.

I shipped it to them ($13) Shortly after they received it (they got it at 10AM) they called me (Chris called me about 2:30 PM) to let me know what they found.

Alas, they could not rebuild it. However, they have a brand new one they can send me. The new disk (including shipping) will be $115.

$128 is a whole lot better than $315.

If you need them, Ky.Clutch (located in Brooks, Ky.) does all sorts of clutches. They try to do 24 hour turnaround on rebuilds. They sure got mine out in that timeframe. Their number is 502-955-9173.

I am eager to put the tractor back together.

/ We are in a clutch ... #10  
Update...

I tried the guys at Southbend Clutch. They had me send some picks and the info. They couldn't help.

I found Ky. Clutch. I called them. They looked it up and figured they could repair it.

I shipped it to them ($13) Shortly after they received it (they got it at 10AM) they called me (Chris called me about 2:30 PM) to let me know what they found.

Alas, they could not rebuild it. However, they have a brand new one they can send me. The new disk (including shipping) will be $115.

$128 is a whole lot better than $315.

If you need them, Ky.Clutch (located in Brooks, Ky.) does all sorts of clutches. They try to do 24 hour turnaround on rebuilds. They sure got mine out in that timeframe. Their number is 502-955-9173.

I am eager to put the tractor back together.

Hey, that sounds great, glad you got somewhere with your perserverance. Good for you, and thanks for letting us know how you managed it.