Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions?

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
It is finally about time for an oil change.

Last time I pulled the pan to retap the oil drain bolts and ended up reusing the oil pan gasket. For the last 50 hrs or so I have lived with a small leak from the interface of the oil pan to the engine block as a result :-(.

That's the last time I won't replace a gasket as you can imagine.

I've ordered up all the parts for my service including a new gasket. Just wondering if anyone had any gotchas they might want to share while I go about doing this.

I plan on taking the old gasket off with a razor blade if necessary and cleaning the surfaces with brake cleaner. Should I be applying a film of oil on either surface before I put the gasket on or anything or should it go on completely dry? I ask because I've always put a film of oil on the gasket that is on an oil filter for example.

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #2  
Should I be applying a film of oil on either surface before I put the gasket on or anything or should it go on completely dry?

It depends on the type of gasket material...
If it is a fairly rigid gasket that has some support to hold it together or hold it in a grove or slot, then a light lube is good... if it is a soft cork type gasket on a flat surface, with little or no surrounding support, you might want to use an adhesive like spray on 'copper coat'.
On a pan gasket you will not be removing it frequently so sticking to one or both surfaces is not going to be a big problem. Torque bolts uniformly. Many soft flat gaskets fail because they are pushed out of their intended position due to improper torquing or too slick and slippery application. KennyV
Also you are right... always lube a filter gasket, it sets in a grove and can't easily be pushed out. and you are going to be removing it frequently.

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions?
This one is a rubber gasket - at least it felt like rubber the last time I had the pan out.... hard to tell.

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #4  
If it is applied to a flat smooth surface I think I might stick it to at least one side... if not both. But then I really do not like leaks, even little ones. KennyV

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #5  
If you dont clean up all the oil then a rubber gasket will usually try to squeeze out of the correct position when you tighten it down. I would suggest using some type of gasket adhesive on atleast one surface and let it set up before putting it back together, cause having a leak after fixing something just plain sux.

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions?
Ken - I didn't think you were supposed to us any kind of gasket adhesive with rubber gaskets. What do you use?

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #7  
What i meant was a very thin film, just enought to hold it in place. When I had the transmission serviced on my mustang they used a new rubber gasket that was not oem. It leaked badly becuase it didnt want to stay in place when it was tightened it down. I took it back and luckily the old gasket was still in the dumpster and not messed up. It had a metal core surrounded by rubber to keep it from pushing out. It didnt leak when the old one was put back on.

/ Replacing oil pan gasket - any last minute suggestions? #8  
My 03 F-150 transmission oil pan has a gasket that is supposed to be re-used like Ken said. Can't say that for other oil pans though.