B7100HST neutral holder spring problems

/ B7100HST neutral holder spring problems #1  

cowboygeek

I have a B7100HST, the E series. The neutral holder spring on this model is held by a threaded, adjustable shaft at the top end. The old top end bracket still exists from the prior model.

When my spring broke, I attached the new one to the adjustable shaft, adjusted neutral centering tension and went on my way. All was well for about 15 minutes of operation, when the spring wrapped itself around the adjacent driveshaft and that was the end of my new spring. Same thing happened to my second new spring.

The third time around, I gave up on the adjustable shaft, and hooked the spring to the old, fixed upper bracket. This has worked for about a year, but there is no adjustment, and the spring tension does not return the pedal to neutral reliably.

Today I went back to the thing to see if I could get the adjustable deal to work. I cannot figure out how the thing could have ever worked. The spring sits next to the drive shaft coming out of the HST right at a U-joint. When that sucker turns, the arms that hold the U-joint touch and push the spring over about a quarter inch (oh sorry, about 8mm). This can't be right.

Anybody know what I'm missing?