Mower Blades Backwards

/ Mower Blades Backwards #1  

toddwulf

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 New Holland 1920
I've been using the field mower and haven't been happy with the overall cut/appearance of the cut and thought I ought to look undeneath and see if the blades needed sharpening/replacing. Low and behold, it appears that the sharp edge faces to the rear of the cut and I'm blunting everything to death. Probably best for now until I get the rocks out of the way/identified.

So, is the b est way to change them back to forward cut just to loosen the large nut on top (underneath the deck). Is there a better access method?

/ Mower Blades Backwards #2  
I assume you are talking about a 2 ended blade mounted by a center shaft. If you have verified the direction of rotation and the blade is indeed turning backward, you should be able to simply take the nut off and turn the blade over.

/ Mower Blades Backwards #3  
A guy down the road from me bought one from TSC and they mounted the blades backwards! He called me because it was bogging his Deere down and just twisting and chopping the field grass. When I went to reverse them, the bolts were not even torqued. Quality help these days!

/ Mower Blades Backwards #4  
"When I went to reverse them, the bolts were not even torqued. Quality help these days! "

I'm not sure about TSC but some of the stores hire out the assembly. There are people that go from store to store putting things like mowers, bikes, etc. and then the stores sell the item with an assembly charge.

Don