Ford 8N Ignition Timing?

/ Ford 8N Ignition Timing? #1  

manwith2jd

Tractor
JD4300, 4wd, SRT, 2005 X740, 318, 2007 X740, Turf Gator 4x2
Trying to get son-in-laws 8N front distributer, 6volt pos ground to start. He replaced plugs, points, cap and rotor, but I think he turned the distributer! What is the best way to get distributer back in or do I just crank it and turn it till it starts to fire? Any help on a hard starting 8N would be great. I have no manual for reference. He's so far procrastenated on getting one. I've had it running before and told him to start it once a week or so, but that doesn't' happen and kids will be kids I guess and will hopefully learn one of these days, that you can just let them sit for months then expect them to start when you need 'em.

/ Ford 8N Ignition Timing? #2  
the 9n, 2n, and 8n with front mounted distribuitor ( 4 nipples ) is offset tang driven from the cam.. it only goes in 1-way.. wheen you seat it on the cam drive, spin the rotor till the slot drops in, then take the 2 bolts down.. if it's not in time when the bolts go down.. ya broke it.

points gap at .015 plugs gap at .025 I like autolite 437's.. though 216's work.. and are the same as the champion h10.. with the h12 ( 512) being similar to the 437.

fire order is 1-2-4-3.. 1 is at the rad.. most caps are marked.. and it';s easy to mix up 3/4

there is a timing adjustment.. and it gives very little adjustment.. if it ran when you pulled it.. it shoudl run now if you didn't monkey with the adjustment.. to really set it.. oy need a straight edge and the page out of the manual that shows you how.. you will be measuring to set the timing... etc. easy to see on paper.. not so easy to describe via board post.

some common problems are points that close up.. and new coils that have the pigtail primary contact bent or squished so that it doesn't set in the specail concave head screw.. other problems are a lack of power to the coil due to a bad oem key switch..

hookup a testlamp between the coil and the wire feeding it.. turn key on and crank engine.. lamp should blink ( dimly ).. if it just stays on.. you have a short.. if it never comes on.. then an open in the circuit.

post back for more help.

soundguy

/ Ford 8N Ignition Timing?
Thanks
Will give these items a try at next opportunity! Will share any findings. He needs to spring for a manual.