Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #1  

lake rat

Hey All,

Just a heads up. - And a plea for help/direction if anybody can assist.

Steering has been out on my machine for several months. After several gyrations, my local dealer called earlier today to advise that the parts, steering shaft and nut assembly, formerly $125 - last week quoted at $500, is now unavailable until some time after 1/1/10.
HELP!! And buyers beware.

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #2  
I'd like to have a dollar for everytime I've seen that happen!

We had a customer in one day and he wanted the bearing to come in the box from the manufactuer of the machine.

We checked through the three manufacturers that we had that used the same bearing. We always will stock the best price which often beats all the wholesale bearing places, the bearing went from a company that was still using it in production at about $7. to $12. last used a few years before, to just over 20 in the box he wanted to see and they had not used it in about 20 years! It all depends on how many need to made and sold.

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #3  
I replaced mine a year or maybe more and had a hard time getting one. Supposedly they had just changed part number systems and the part number pointed to the wrong part. I eventually sent an email to Kubota and got a pretty quick response via my dealer. They said they found one on a shelf at a dealership in TX. To me the unit looked like it had been cut down from another part...maybe you could find the part from another Kubota tractor and have it cut down.

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #5  
Consider looking at car wreckers for a manual steering box that can be fitted to your tractor.:confused:

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #6  
Consider looking at car wreckers for a manual steering box that can be fitted to your tractor.:confused:

Or go with the power steering options that have been posted on here. If I had more time and information when mine went out I probably would have went with the PS option :D

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #7  
Power steering is a nice addition. As for parts, you may want to try Pittsburg tractor in TX. A friend of mine got a pump there but steering parts seem to be few and far between.

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D
Steering box repair for Kubota B6100/7100: Check UK supplier for parts?

I had this exact problem develop last summer. Received a lot of good advice here at TBN and spent hours identifying/following up for parts sources. NOBODY in the US had 'em (even if their web site indicated otherwise). Desperate, after dozens of call and email exchanges I found them at a UK supplier:

Newlands Groundcare <sales@newlandsgroundcare.com

Happy to report that the transaction (I chose PAYPAL) went smoothly. Parts were timely direct shipped to my local Kubota Dealer as agreed and my old B7100 is back in business.

Incidentally, This site has a pretty straight forward "guide" for rebuilding the steering box yourself. Ultimately, I knew when I was licked and had the pros at My local Kubota dealer do the work. (I have more guts than brains, mechanical savvy or $. Though I've been able to "fix" a lot of stuff over the years by just tearing in to it, after spending $40 or $50 on new small parts I gave up. Matthew in the service dept. at Coleman Equipment shot straight with me too on this end.

(I'm not a dealer and have no interest in these guy's business. Tony at Newlands was practical, service oriented and delivered as promised. Given the fits I had with my situation and the 6 months down time, I appreciated the help he offered and the fair price. Hope I can help Tony sell a few parts and help someone here on TBN avoid months of down time and frustration.)

/ Steering Parts for '79 Kubota B7100D #9  
I just went thru this dog and pony show with my B7100.Steering shaft ,completely shot, as the ball bearings from the upper thrust bearing fell into the rack and pinion.

Here is a part # that worked for me. The whole shaft is 3/4 on an inch longer ,so the steering wheel sits up a little higher.No big deal.

Kubota Part #Steering Shaft 67211-41120. Cost me$ 250.00 a month ago.

I also replaced all the seals and bearings. You may need addition shims.to get the clearance just right.

Hope this helps Pacific pete