TOPLINK

/ TOPLINK #1  

qzbmpc

Tractor
2001 JD 5210, 1964 MF 65, 1970 Ford 3400
I just purchased a 2001 JD5210. I was making a adjustment on the toplink when I discovered it took 2 men to turn it. The section closest to the emplement can turn with 2 fingers but on the tractor side you really have to work to get one rotation. I did put some grease in with no change at all. Is this normal or defective?
thanks for your help, Ken

/ TOPLINK #2  
Hi gzbmpz my top linc on my long turns easy they both turn at the same time for adjustment but i'm not sure on jd it sounds like a problem call the dealer for possible replacement

/ TOPLINK #3  
oh-uh - sounds like the threads are stripped on that side - if it's new - take it back.
mike

/ TOPLINK #4  
It may be defective threads, as already mentioned, or . . .

On my Kubota, if I extended the top link all the way, then pumped in grease to fill the "cylinder", it could be very hard to turn it to shorten it again because inside it was trying to compress that grease and force it out through the threads at one or both ends. In other words, I found through experience that it could be overgreased. If yours works at one end, but the other, though, doesn't sound like the same problem.

/ TOPLINK #5  
My Ford had this problem on the toplink and both sway chain turnbuckles. I soaked them well with Liquid Wrench and worked them back and forth till they freed up. One of the sway turnbuckles refused to cooperate and twisted off. I replaced it and gave the threads a coat of anti-sieze. That was last year, and you still need to keep an eye on them because they are lubed a little too well. They work loose.

If it's grease-bound, just screw the grease zerk out to relieve the pressure............chim