john deere 318 starter replacement

/ john deere 318 starter replacement #1  

fergs2000

I believe my starter is faulty on my jd318. I applied jumper from battery on car to starter-and it did nothing. So, I believe my starter has to be pulled. I am trying to find some advice and very good -step by step- instructions on pulling engine, or tilting engine to remove the starter. I have read some postings that have not provided any basis steps-only that engine is hard to pull; tilt engine; engine is not hard to pull; opted to not disengage drive shaft; etc. Can someone provide more information on lifting or tilting engine on my JD 318 to remove starter- or tell where I can locate basic instructions. thanks very much.

/ john deere 318 starter replacement #2  
I believe my starter is faulty on my jd318. I applied jumper from battery on car to starter-and it did nothing. So, I believe my starter has to be pulled. I am trying to find some advice and very good -step by step- instructions on pulling engine, or tilting engine to remove the starter. I have read some postings that have not provided any basis steps-only that engine is hard to pull; tilt engine; engine is not hard to pull; opted to not disengage drive shaft; etc. Can someone provide more information on lifting or tilting engine on my JD 318 to remove starter- or tell where I can locate basic instructions. thanks very much.

It's been a long, long time since I owned a 318 but once, for no apparent reason, it just died. I was using it, stopped to get a drink and couldn't get it started again. After dicking with it for a few hours, I eventually called the dealership and they sent out a mechanic. Actually, he was on his way home and stopped in by to give me an opinion. He had it fixed in about 5 minutes. It seems that there was an in-line fuse that is hidden away somewhere that I couldn't see or find. Now, you're going to ask me where that fuse is and, for the life of me, I can't remember. It might be worth finding out though before you start ripping things apart.

/ john deere 318 starter replacement
Yea- that's about what happened. Accept, when I got back in the saddle and attempted to start the tractor, I let off the key just slightly and the engine began to wind down. I quickly turned the key, before the engine stopped winding down, and nothing happened. This had happened before, accept this time, it did not start. It clicked like yours did. But, I was told to attach a jumper cable from battery directly to starter to test starter. Well, I did this and nothing happened. So, is this test valid, or is the fuse or other parts still a possibility for not starting. thanks.

/ john deere 318 starter replacement #4  
We had a 318 for quite a while too, before trading for a 235. After reading your post I remember having a starting problem with ours. It was a while ago, but I think it had to do with not getting enough power to the starter, and it was fixed by a kit from Deere (must have been a known problem). As I remember the repair was to change or add a section of the wiring harness to the starter. It just was a simple job, and cured the problem. The 318 was, I think, a better tractor than what we have now in most respects. In any case I think I'd put 12v power right to the starter and see if it spins (if you havn't already) before I replaced it. Good luck.

We had a 318 for quite a while too, before trading for a 235. After reading your post I remember having a starting problem with ours. It was a while ago, but I think it had to do with not getting enough power to the starter, and it was fixed by a kit from Deere (must have been a known problem). As I remember the repair was to change or add a section of the wiring harness to the starter. It just was a simple job, and cured the problem. The 318 was, I think, a better tractor than what we have now in most respects. In any case I think I'd put 12v power right to the starter and see if it spins (if you havn't already) before I replaced it. Good luck.

I have connected 12 volt to starter and nothing happened. I connected a jumper to my car battery hot and connected to starter power connection and nothing happened. So, I believe starter is bad and needs repair. I need some advice on tilting, pulling or moving engine to get to starter. thanks.

/ john deere 318 starter replacement #6  
I could be missunderstanding your post, but did you only connect the hot wire to the starter and not the ground wire also?

/ john deere 318 starter replacement #7  
If you need to change the starter, don't stress on it, I can have mine out in less than thirty minutes. Take the shield off the bottom of the frame (about 16-20 self tapping hex screws) Remove the bolts from the engine to the shaft going to the pump, disconnect the throttle, choke, take the hood and sides off, remove the four engine bolts and now you own the engine in your lap.

But, I've only had my 318 now for 20 some years, I'd first make sure the engine and starter have a good clean ground, make sure you have 12 volts going to the starter on crank, and make sure you have 12 volts in the battery.

Good luck!

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_4713a.jpg
    IMG_4713a.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 3,256
You did not misunderstand what i said about connecting jumper cable- it sounds like i didnt do this right. I connected the red cable to main starter bolt on back, and other red cable to my car battery. Based on your reply, i guess im doing some thing or things wrong. Please advise on correct way to jump my starter- including using my car as sure 12 volt, and proper gounding. thanks.

Thanks for advice on pulling engine. If the advice on jumping starter to battery proves a faulty starter, I will use your instructions on pulling engine. This sounds like something I can do with your step by step instructions. The only thing I wasnt clear on is the bolts to the " bolts from the engine to the shaft going to the pump. Are you talking about the bolts from fly wheel to the drive shaft? Please clarify this particular step. thanks.

Nice looking 318. What is that black covering you have on tray footing?