Kubota Starter

/ Kubota Starter #1  

Frosty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST; Kubota KX040
A friend has an older 1969 Kubota "B" or "D" 210, 18hp diesel. The starter is out and he said the starter housing (outer shell) is corroded away.

Any leads somebody might have for a new starter will be appreciated. Local dealer told him the tractor is a Gray Market unit from Canada and they can't get a starter. Thanks. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Kubota Starter #2  
While at the dealer last week I was at the counter and a delivery from a local auto supply house was on the counter. Inside was a starter, it was from foreign auto starter manufacturer for cars. I wish I'd remember the name. The parts guy just smiled when I asked what that fit on. I can only assume it goes on one of the smaller Kubotas. That might give you a source.

Local dealer could probably help, but for the corporate stand on getting caught selling parts for gray market tractors. You need to find a US equivilent to that model and work from there.

Best of luck.

/ Kubota Starter #3  
There were lots of thees little two cylinder 18HP Kubota engines out there. They used the in all sots of static engine operations. Such as generators, and pumps. It shouldn't be to hard to find a starter. A good DC electrical repair shop should be able to help. If you have access I would also try shops that specialize in marine eletrical repair.

/ Kubota Starter #4  
I think the American equivalent is the L185DT.

/ Kubota Starter #5  
I had a 210 that had starter problems,found a repair shop with this type of starter the cost is more than it is worth, repaired 3 times and 1000 bucks later traded in for a larger Kubota starts fine now. Hope the 210 is ballast on a ship going no where's se'ya ken

/ Kubota Starter #6  
Probably a Nippondenso starter. Original could be salvaged by a rebuilder.

/ Kubota Starter #7  
The first time the starter was repaired they turned the armature and cut the brass where the wires were soldered to the lands wires were always getting loose, then new armatre,the starter would drag melt the battery cables,Battery blew acid all over the inside of cover,then replacement starter turned so slow could not start on day cooler than 60 deg. better than 2 years of this each costing 2 to 3 hundred each time gave up the littleL-210 ran fine if could get started also low hours of use.
se'ya ken

/ Kubota Starter
I'm gonna print these replies and give 'em to my friend. Lotsa good info n' ideas. Hopefully he will be able to come up with something. He said the lil' old tractor runs great, just gettin' it started has become a problem. Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Kubota Starter #9  
Geez Ken, who did your starter work for you? Sounds like they destroyed your starter, then sold you bad stuff after that, plus charging you 4 to 5 times the going rate for your trouble each time.

/ Kubota Starter #10  
I have an "I&T" brand "Shop Service Manual" that covers a lot of older Kubota tractors in three separate groups.

The first group is the L175 / L210 / L225 / L225DT / L260. I suspect that your friend's tractor is an L210. The shop manual indicates that all 5 of the tractors use one common starter and has an exploded view of the starter. I would suspect that the L210 is not a grey market tractor. If I remember correctly, there is a list of grey market model numbers on the Kubota web site.

The second group of tractors in the manual is the B5100 series, B6100 series, and B7100 series Kubota tractors.

The third group in the manual is the L185 / L235 / L245 / L275 / L285 / L295 / L305 / L345 / L355.

Your friend may consider purchasing one of these manuals. It could come in handy.

Kelvin