Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #1  

Delldude

I have a 1989 Case 580K with Power shuttle transmission. Can work all day in 1 or 2nd gear but if I need to go 1 mile and try to use 3rd or 4th gear the machine takes off fine then after 5o to 60 yard starts to slow without loss of RPM's and then when you let off power you hear slipping. This is the only time you even will hear slipping. I am thinking it is the charge pump not keeping the pressure up in the higher gears only. I have check fuild level full. And I have changed fulid and clean the filter in bottom of transmission pan witch was clear. some say change all if I am going to tackle it. Converter,charge pump, and rebuild clutches,and o rings. Rebuild here run about 2000 with converter and then charger pump another 400 but I dont use this for a living so funds are tight.Anyone had this issue?:confused: machine has around 4000 hours engine runs great and I have been using machine like this for 3 years. I just dont used 3rd or 4th. But I really need to be able to used 3rd and 4th so I can store machine at my friends while I use it at my other land.

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #2  
G'day i think you are up for a trans rebuild if the charge pump was bad then you would be slipping in 1st & 2nd gears as well you should be able to check the charge press at the test port not sure where it is on your model but i am sure that some one would be able to help you with location and press required. Good luck with it may be worthwhile finding out the parts prices and tackling it yourself :D:D

Jon

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #3  
Hi,I don't spend a lot of time here ,,but it turns out I work at a CASE dealer,so I might be able to help.Case made two styles of the k model,the first had the old style transaxle,with a small power shuttle.the next one was called a phase three,had a big transaxle with the FNR in it..witch one you got?? I'm guessing you have the earlier style.you have to check the oil level with the engine running.if the oil on the dipstick smells to high heven with a burnt smell,,,it's toast.these little shuttles are easy to fix.you pull it out and leave the converter on the engine.probably the only set-up like that you'll ever see.you don't have to replace every part in it,just replace the bad stuff,generally the forward clutch lets go,I would always replace the return spring on the forward clutch.it's a bleville washer looking thing.get a tech manual and there is a step by step how to. Ken

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #4  
Hi ,I also have shuttle problems ,in a phase one power shuttle, it seems like it is stuck in Foward. Put the F-R lever in netural and it still wants to go foward,but put it in reverse and it will not move unless you rev the engine up pretty high then it will back up , and as soon as you let up on it ,it stops right now! Goes forward OK.When I put the tranny in netural and the F-R in netural the drive shaft still spins between the power shuttle and the tranny. I took the oil pan off the power shuttle and there are metal shavings in it. Do I need a rebuilt power shuttle?

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #5  
G'day it sounds like your trans is not disengaging the forward clutch pack i would start by checking the fwd/rev control and making sure it is switching power and then by checking down at the trans itself if you have a repair manual you can find the fwd control solenoid on the trans and disconnect it and see if it will drive in reverse. Metal shavings are not ideal but a very small amount may be normal wear and tear whatever you do i would be looking at it straight away if you continue to use it you will be up for an expensive repair. Good luck :)

Jon

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #6  
My 580k has same weak rev. problem,just started yesterdayacts like the brakes are on but goes forward fine.Think it has a phase 1 ser no. is 17426391.Found a rebuild kit at brokentractor web site for 515.00 includes pump.would this do what I need ? Where do I find a tech manual for this model?

/ Case 580k Power shuttle transmission issue #7  
hi
i'm new to this site so hello to eveyone. i bought a case 1990 580k which has 9000 hrs on it. i started doing some much needed maintenance. changed trans/hydraulic cooler in front,replaced all seals on 4 hydraulic cylinders.
i took out bottom drain plug on torque converter housing and quite a bit of oil came out. i don't think there is supposed to be oil in the housing. do anyone know what might be leaking. it is a phase 3. any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance