Mighty Mule Gate Opener

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I have had mine for 3 years ...Problem free, no issues until this morning.

I hit the remote from the cab of the tractor and it opened about 2 feet and stopped, I hit it again and nothing. I thought well its been raining like a week and no sun so I quess the solar charger is not keeping up.

After testing eveything thats not the problem, I called the 800# was told that the Rev. Counter Board was shot ... I ordered one for $29 will let you know if thats the problem.

In the meantime, I will have to get out of the tractor or the truck and open that darn thing by hand ..... we sure get spoiled!!

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener #2  
Ours had a reset button for overloads. It would sometimes stop in the middle of the swing and only need to have the reset button pressed or maybe it was a circuit breaker. We never had any problem with the circuit or having to replace boards. The times when the system needed resetting the most were when it was windy or when it was cold. Oh yes, it seemed to happen more on cloudy and drissly days when the battery was weak.

Another thing that can cause problems is sticking buttons on the remote control. The controller trys to change directions too fast and draws too much current.

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener
Jinman ... where was that located? I looked all ovet this 350 model and never did find a reset ..

Thanks thats the site I went to and then called and got there advise ... Darn 2 blocks from you ... shouold have asked you first!!

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener #6  
Jinman ... where was that located? I looked all ovet this 350 model and never did find a reset ..

Actually, the opener belonged to my wife. It was installed on a gate at her previous address before we were married. I don't ever recall doing anything but turning the opener on/off and replacing a blown fuse. As I think about it, I think "reset" may have been turning the system off and back on. The opener was a much older model when they were called GTO Pro, before they started calling them Mighty Mule. I believe the obstruction sensor would shut the system down rather than reverse the gate, and if the obstruction sensor was set too high, the fuse would blow and you'd have to replace it. I replaced lots of broken parts on the actuator while we were dating, but I never had to replace anything but the battery inside the control box. I do know that a low battery can cause the gate to operate erratically. I found a battery online for around $24 once and it made everything work much better.

I'm including photos of the gate and how the actuator would self-destruct due to not having shock mounts when operating a very heavy gate. My fix with springs behind the gate bracket worked very well with no failures in 5 years.

Attachments

• GTO1.jpg
    GTO1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,533
  • Gate1.jpg
    Gate1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 840
  • Gate2.jpg
    Gate2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 3,461
  • Gate3.jpg
    Gate3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,301
  • Gate4.jpg
    Gate4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,964
   / Mighty Mule Gate Opener #7  
I've had a MM500 for the last 2 years. Other than when I accidentally fried the controller board a few weeks ago (totally my fault) it has been pretty good. I have the automatic lock add-on and it can get iced up in the winter which causes a fuse to blow so I have to remember disable the lock so it just closes but doesn't lock when it gets really cold and icy out.

If you have a well balanced gate and everything is lined up properly I see no reason why they won't work for you. I think if you slap one on a farm gate with poorly aligned hinges then you are going to run into problems.

I've had a MM500 for the last 2 years. Other than when I accidentally fried the controller board a few weeks ago (totally my fault) it has been pretty good. I have the automatic lock add-on and it can get iced up in the winter which causes a fuse to blow so I have to remember disable the lock so it just closes but doesn't lock when it gets really cold and icy out.

If you have a well balanced gate and everything is lined up properly I see no reason why they won't work for you. I think if you slap one on a farm gate with poorly aligned hinges then you are going to run into problems.

I have had the 350 for 3 years and problem free. The Mfg says its the Rev Counter board and am waiting for it to be delivered. Everything else checks 100% ... the battery, the solar panel. Also replaced all the batteries in the Wireless keypad and the transmitters.

Turning it on and off does reset it ... only to have a small amount of push and pull ... its now on the shop bench tore down waiting for the part.

Back in business ... the Rev Counter Board cost $29.95 came by UPS today and all is well ... once again opening with the remote and the Key Pad. Was a simple fix and not complicated.

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener #10  
The first gate opener I had was a Mighty Mule, but lightening got it. Ordered a new board, abound $120, and it never did work after that.