Transmission oil in the bellhousing

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #1  

dieseltrac

Tractor
2003 FarmPro 2425
I have a 2003 farmPro 2425 leaking oil out of the starter that is bolted to the bellhousing of the tractor. The fluid appears to be comming from the transmission. I have a few questions
1) Should there be any oil what so ever in a bellhousing?
2)Would this indicate a bad seal on the tranny?
3)How much of an issue is it to replace that seal/will the tractor have to be split apart?

Oh yeah one more. Will this destoy my cluch if I take no action? I assume it will from what I've read.:confused:

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #2  
You could tell how much it has leaked by how much has been added to the transmission.

It will cause the clutch to slip as it gets oil soaked.

It will have to be split and the front seal removed.

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #3  
There should be a hole in the bottom of the bell housing possibly with a jiggle pin in it, looks like the head of a cotter pin sticking out the bottom. The jiggle pin is supposed to keep the hole from plugging up so if a seal, engine or transmission, went bad the oil would drip out instead of ruining the clutch.
I would unplug the hole and keep using the tractor to see how much oil is actually leaking, keep an eye on transmission and oil levels.

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #4  
You could tell how much it has leaked by how much has been added to the transmission.

It will cause the clutch to slip as it gets oil soaked.

It will have to be split and the front seal removed.

I will likely start to grab before it starts to slip..

soundguy

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #5  
When you split the tractor, check the rear crankshaft seal too. The oil showing at the starter has been thrown up there by the flywheel. Since engine oil leaks onto the back of the flywheel, that is usually where it shows up first, unless it is a big leak. Transmission/hydraulic oil usually shows first at the drain hole in the bottom of the housing.

Mike

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #6  
all depends on the design of the trans input shaft seal, and input shaft geometry as to where the oil shows up.

on many fords.. it bee-lines right for clutch parts :)

soundguy

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing
I have drained the tranny oil but I cannot find the weep hole everyones talking about on the bellhousing. I will flush the tranny with diesel and drain again before I fill it with fresh oil. I'm up in NY so I'll use SAE 30 as it is thinner then the 80/90w. Someone told me that that will be too thick in the cool climate. The oil that came out was realy thick and milky brown like sludge.

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #8  
That tells me it was heavy with water contamination. Was it over full due to the water?

That would possibly cause it to leak out of the input shaft.

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing
Yeah it's most likely water contamination. It was a bit over full.

/ Transmission oil in the bellhousing #10  
I have drained the tranny oil but I cannot find the weep hole everyones talking about on the bellhousing. I will flush the tranny with diesel and drain again before I fill it with fresh oil. I'm up in NY so I'll use SAE 30 as it is thinner then the 80/90w. Someone told me that that will be too thick in the cool climate. The oil that came out was realy thick and milky brown like sludge.

I think I'd use UTF or SUDT...

soundguy