Lower link rubbing tires

/ Lower link rubbing tires #1  

normde2001

Elite Member
From time to time I see posts from new users, such as myself, complaining about the lower links rubbing the tires, even after shortening the check chains as much as possible. Don't overlook the fact that the link will ride to the outside of the hitch pin on the implement, which is 1/2-1" wider than the link. A simple hose clamp on the hitch pin outside the link will hold the link to the inside and give that extra badly need 1/2" of clearance.

/ Lower link rubbing tires #2  
I had a problem of my RFM swaying side-to-side when mowing. I found out the lift arm socket was sliding across the lower pins on the mower. I found some Cat. 1 to Cat. 2 adapter bushings at TSC. I used a cutoff wheel to trim them to the exact length of play on the pin. Works great!

/ Lower link rubbing tires #3  
I've done similar with a piece of pipe. I have a long toplink pin to accomodate a few weird 3pt. setups, and I have .5" lengths of bushing pipe laying around inthe tractor tool box.

Works great.

Soundguy

/ Lower link rubbing tires #4  
I made thr mistake once of driving the tractor without an implement on and the lower links swung out and caught the lugs on the tyres.

Nasty piece of work but nothing broken.

Now I carry a bungee cord in the toolbox to tie em together if I need to do that again !!

Cheers

/ Lower link rubbing tires #5  
Quite a common occurrence, I think, Neil./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Most of us only do it once./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Lower link rubbing tires #6  
I did that once too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and bent my adjustable lift link.. oh well.. that was the first day I used the tractor, and have learned since then.

What I do now, is always leave a 3pt drawbar on the lift. The sway chains keep it in check then. Plus when i change impliments, I always have a 26" "prybar or hammer" with me to help the switch.

Soundguy