Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #1  

nikkimitch

How do you bleed a Ford diesel 3000 tractor?

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #2  
refill tank, open petcock, bleed at filter housing ( replace filters if you ran her dry ), bleed at injection pump, then crack hard lines at injectors and run her over till fuel bubbles out, then close them.. use a wrench.. keep yer hands away from the hard lines.

only run the starter 30s or less at a time .. to keep it from overheating.. might keep a trickle charger on the bat during this.

once you get the lines bled.. it should fire.. if it won't, and it's a gear model.. get a buddy to pul start you.. saves some wear on the starter.. etc.

soundguy

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor
Thanks for your help soundguy!

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #4  
post back if you hit a snag.

soundguy

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #5  
Pay attention to the comment Soundguy made about only running the starter for 30 seconds at a time before allowing it to cool. Buying a new starter on top of having to get it started is just a slap in the face, but easy to do. Even if it "almost starts" and you just want to give it one time try, take a minute and let it COOL DOWN first.
David from jax

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #6  
Besides the fact that a rebuild is about 100$ and a new one is about 1.5 to 2x that... the lil buggers are hard to get to.. that top/back bolt on the starter is nigh impossible to reach without taking the entire fuel filter housing off.. even with extensions and wobble head sockets it's a cussing match.. :) and if ya do have to take the fuel fitler assy off.. then ya gots to bleed her again anyway!

soundguy

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor
Ok tractor started after pull starting, it ran for a few min and started missing and stopped running. Tried pull starting again and this time had no luck. It sounds like it wants to start, but just won't do it.

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #8  
Like the others have said, easier to crack the filter slightly, it might fill up by gravity if ya let air out. Retighten it, then crack the lines at the injectors. I just hit the switch and spin the starter till you see the air bubbles quit at each injector and close them as each starts spitting fuel out. I try to retighten each one before stopping spinning the motor so you'll not get air back into the line. Like others have said don't run the starter too long each time but when all air is out and all lines are tight it'll fire right up. Usually as you retighten each one as the air stops bubbling out it'll try to fire up. I'm sure there is some safety thing about standing beside it and retightening each line as you crank it over but it's worked each time for me I've had to do it.

Topstrap

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #9  
I was asked to help start a 3000 after the fuel filter had been changed. only would run for 10 to 20 sec. after pulling across field. removed the filter and when the old had been removed the "O" ring remained then new added "O" ring with filter. this plugged the fuel outlet on top of housing for filter. Just something to remember if the filter has been changed.
ken

/ Bleeding Ford 3000 tractor #10  
Good point.. 2 orings will cause a problem.

soundguy