Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor #1  

browndd1

What do I have to do to get a blue spark? At first I was only getting orange spark by grounding the coil wire to the block from the coil. I put a new coil, points, and coil wire on and I then got blue spark when I touched the coil wire to the block and turned the engine over. I thought I had my problem solved but when I pulled each spark plug wire on each cylinder and placed a plug in it and checked it against the block still no blue spark only orange. The tractor has the factory motorsport spark plug wires on it. Anyone have any ideas why I can't get a blue spark?

Thanks,

Dave

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor #3  
I'd put on metal core wires instead of modern supressor wires ( NH sells supressor wires for this application ).

make sure your wiring is clean and bright ant tight.. might check if there is a voltage drop across the ignition switch.

points clean and gapped correctly?

running ressitor plugs?

soundguy

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor
I am running the plugs that the manual calls for AG5 I think which crosses with Autolite 405 if I remember correctly. Will Ford Motorsport Blue Plug Wires Work? I used them on my race car.

Thanks

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor #5  
If they are metal core they will be fine.. the supressor core wires tend to amplify ignition problems. if you have a good healthy ignition.. you can get away with them. I like to take all the stumbling blocks out of the way on a diagnostic approach when looking at a problem though.

soundguy

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor
what non resistor plugs can I get to run in this 1967 Ford 3000 gas tractor? Plugs call for AG5 or Autolite 405

/ Ignition Spark on Ford 3000 Gas Tractor #7  
what non resistor plugs can I get to run in this 1967 Ford 3000 gas tractor? Plugs call for AG5 or Autolite 405

I don't believe an AG5 is a resistor plug...

soundguy