Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark?

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hi

I have an old Lincoln buzz box that my father bought about 45 years ago. Not much by some people's standard but it's always done what I need it for.
About 3 weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. It'll strike an arc at first, but won't maintain it. I've cleaned all the contacts inside and out of the machine, with no luck. The rods are new (3/16;7018).

These are simple machines so probably when they die it's over but a new welder wasn't in the budget so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

R

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #2  
Hi

I have an old Lincoln buzz box that my father bought about 45 years ago. Not much by some people's standard but it's always done what I need it for.
About 3 weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. It'll strike an arc at first, but won't maintain it. I've cleaned all the contacts inside and out of the machine, with no luck. The rods are new (3/16;7018).

These are simple machines so probably when they die it's over but a new welder wasn't in the budget so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you.R
My 230A buzz box wont burn 7018 that big. Have you used those rods before?
larry

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #3  
What are you welding that you need 7018? Why not use a 6011? Nothing ever dies it just goes to the next stage of happenings :)

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #4  
7018 is a DC rod. You can get 7018 AC if you really need them.

6011 or 6013 work best on your welder 3/32 or 1/8 would be good sizes to keep around. I have never heard of a old lincoln quitting but they do get loud as they get older.

Thanks
Dan

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #5  
I've used the 7018 for welding cast steel, it's more for speciallty stuff. 6013 I don't really care for 6011 is much better IMO. 6011 has good penetrating quility's even on rusty metal, easy to use and gets a good deep bite.

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #6  
I had a old ac buzz box must have been 25 years old and abused each time always run rod after rod with no cool down and it finally just gave up one day. I wanted the boss to buy a new ac/dc machine but he did not want to spend the cash at that time and his friend gave him his welder If I rember right it is a forney ac unit and must be 40 plus years old man is that thing heavy but it does what it is supose to.
Rob

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark?
My 230A buzz box wont burn 7018 that big. Have you used those rods before?
larry

A big "Dope Slap" for me. :eek: I read the troubleshooting manual, cleaned all the contacts, but never thought of trying different rods. I meant to buy the 3/32; but got bigger rods by mistake.
(I've only burned 2lbs in the last 10 years)

When I go home Friday I'll pick up the right rods; I'll bet it'll work .

Thanks guys.

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #8  
FWIW...
Those older machines were extremely prone to dampness...you might try putting it a dryer (humidity wise) environment...

/ Do old "Tombstones" die, or just lose their spark? #9  
i run 3/16 AC7018 in my buzzbox pretty well. it makes a second to get them rollin', but when they do, they work well for me.