tl100a 4x4 stays on

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on #1  

lars

This is also posted in the New Holland operating section.

I've got an 06 tl100a that only has 300 hours on it and just recently the 4x4 stays on. The tractor is 100 miles away at the inlaws farm and I'm going up this weekend to check it out so haven't been around it myself. I called the dealer I bought it from and was told that when you put the unit into 4x4 the solenoid/hydraulics are required to disengage the clutch pack, which actually powers it into 2 wheel drive. Also when you are in 2 wheel drive and hit the brakes it puts it back into 4x4 for extra braking by cutting hydraulics and re-engaging the clutch packs. I think the idea is that it will fail safe (into 4x4) if something does go wrong with the solenoid.

I plan to check the solenoid and switches to see if resistance is ok and power is getting to the valve. I may find it's something simple and the service guy said as little as the tractor is used, being in 4x4 is ok.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar thing happen. I'm new to tractors so I don't know how common this 4x4 system is.

Thanks - Dan

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on #2  
There is a difference between a tractor that stays in 4WD all the time and a tractor with the 4WD indicator lamp on all the time. Your TL has a pressure switch in the hydraulic tube running from the 4WD solenoid to the clutch pack. This pressure switch fails regularly, and when it does, the most common symptom is an indicator lamp lit constantly. An improved switch is now sold for this application. The pressure switch is near the bottom left corner of the rear axle center section a little ahead of the left rear axle housing. It has two individual wires connected with spade terminals. Drive your tractor in a tight circle on hard ground, switching ther 4WD on and off a couple times. You should feel the front axle disengage regardless of the lamp being lit if the pressure switch is bad.

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on
There is a difference between a tractor that stays in 4WD all the time and a tractor with the 4WD indicator lamp on all the time. Your TL has a pressure switch in the hydraulic tube running from the 4WD solenoid to the clutch pack. This pressure switch fails regularly, and when it does, the most common symptom is an indicator lamp lit constantly. An improved switch is now sold for this application. The pressure switch is near the bottom left corner of the rear axle center section a little ahead of the left rear axle housing. It has two individual wires connected with spade terminals. Drive your tractor in a tight circle on hard ground, switching ther 4WD on and off a couple times. You should feel the front axle disengage regardless of the lamp being lit if the pressure switch is bad.

Thanks for the feedback Rick, I wasn't sure how the 4x4 indicator lamp was accuated. My brother in law was using the tractor when the 4x4 light started staying on and I asked him to drive the tractor to see if 4x4 was staying engaged and he thought it was. So based on his feedback it would be more than the pressure sensor you described, but I'll check it out this weekend.

I gave an explanation for the duplicate post in the NH section, but if it is not necessary I will refrain in the future.

Thanks - Dan

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on #4  
My brothers TL 100 did that and it was becaues the wires came loose from the back of the switch on dash, he pluged it back in andeverything worked.

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on
My brothers TL 100 did that and it was becaues the wires came loose from the back of the switch on dash, he pluged it back in andeverything worked.

Thanks - I honestly think it is going to be something simple. I'll report back when I get it figured out.

/ tl100a 4x4 stays on

When we drove and checked out the tractor it was switching in and out of 4x4 so I inspected the pressure switch that RickB mentioned above and after removing and replacing both spade connections the lights started working properly. So it was something simple and next time I'm up I plan to put some dielectric grease on both connections.

Thanks for the feedback RickB! You made me look pretty smart to my in-laws.

I owe you - Dan