Tips for Tie rod Replacement?

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement? #1  

MDSteve

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3710
I Bent my tierod on my L3710 and need to replace it. Does anyone have any tips to get the old one off? Thanks for the Help.

Steve

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement? #2  
There are two ways to remove a tie rod. The easiest is to go buy a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hand-tools-power-tools.com/automotive/separator.htm>tie rod separator</A>.

The other way is to loosen the nut holding the tie rod into it's tapered seat and back it off to the top of the threaded shaft(don't remove it all the way), grab the tie rod and pull down on it why sharply striking the outside of the seat, not the tie rod itself. You may have to do that three or four times before it finally pops loose.

When I say "strike sharply", think "karate chop" to the metal. The object is not to slam into the joint to move or dent the metal with the hammer. The object is to shock the metal until it releases the tie rod from the tapered seat. In this case, "get a bigger hammer" is not the way to do it. I think a 12 or 16oz ball peen hammer is about the best tool for the job.

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement?
Thanks for the help. I used a 16 oz hammer and got it off.

Steve

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement? #4  
Ozarker, I liked that explanation about how to hit and move things. So many people think bigger is better for making small parts move. My favorite "hammer" for removing and replacing small pins on guns is an old spoon. Sharp light hits work real well for things like that.....................chim

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement? #5  
Glad you got it.

/ Tips for Tie rod Replacement? #6  
Thanks Chim. To toot my own horn a little, I spent about a third of my military career as an Instructor/Training Developer and like to think that I do a fair job of explaining how to do things.