Rotary mower blade replacement

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #1  

neilw

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
Can anyone tell me the amount of torque I need to put on my new rotary blades.

Last week I finally broke down and bought some replacement blades for my Woods XL-160 rotary mower. This morning I learned the hard way to replace them one at a time. So a thirty minute first timers job took 2 hours.

I have no operators manual for this mower and need to know the torque needed to insure I keep the new blades.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #2  
I don't what it should be for the Woods, but my Bushhog SQ420 takes 600 ftlbs.
Solo

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #3  
Harbor Freight has a 600 lb rated "click" type torque wrench that I have had for a while and like real well. Good price too. Real handy on my 19.5 inch Alcoas that I put on my Ram 3500 pick up (requires 450 lb-ft of lug nut torque).

Patrick

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #4  
Patrickg,

How much for the H.F. torque wrench? How long? I have been looking at torque multipliers to accomplish this with a smaller t.w., new multipliers are $350 to $400 and way up from there. Ebay is a little better place to look for them. Can't find anybody who rents them and most don't know what it is.

I was over at Asher Sunday and saw a place just west of the 4-way stop that looked like your mom's house from the pictures you posted. Anyway, if that was it, nice place.

Gary

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #5  
Chillimau, I have slept since I bought the TR at HF but as I recall it was seriously under $200 and is about 4 ft long. I carry it in my utility bed of my truck in a cabinet wrapped in that rubber nonskid tool drawer liner stuff. When I whip it out to loan to a mech (even getting my tires rotated I have to supply the tools usually as most shops don't have a 450 lb-ft TR) I tell them as I unwrap it that its name is Excalibur. It is quite a handfull. It isn't super precision but I would bet on it being within about 10% as I have checked it in a few spots and was within 5%.

Hey now, you are going to hurt my feelings, you drove right by and didn't stop to say howdy. Yeah, probably my mom's new house, about a mile out on south side about 500 ft SW of my 35x70 red metal shop bld. NW 40 acres freshly hayed with round bales laying about.

Please feel free to drop by for a cold soda. If you are interested the Peach Festival at Stratford has an antique car show from 1000 to 1500 Saturday and a couple of us wanna be farmers are gonna rendezvous at 1100 to check it out and probably get a bite of lunch. Rodeo too but don't know the sched on that.

Patrick

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #6  
Here's a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3293>link</A> to a 3/4" drive 42" reach torque wrench at HF for $180.

/ Rotary mower blade replacement #7  
Patrickg, thanks for the TR info.

Thanks for the invite to the Festival, but I have an Great Aunt who passed away yesterday and will probably be out of town later this week, not for sure yet when.

Next time we are over there, I will stop by. I thought about stopping, but didn't want to intrude and wasn't sure it was the right place.

MikePA, thanks for the link.

Gary