Jump starting Positive Ground

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #11  
Connecting cable ends to both batteries is a safety hazard. Yea, I know some of you do it all the time. I have done the bumper to bumper thing also, when the cables were not long enough The reason that you only connect one jumper to the battery being charged, is to prevent a spark lighting off the hyd gas with high amp charging. The other cable end goes to chassis ground.

/ Jump starting Positive Ground
I have a 1960 MGA that is positive ground and have jumped it several times. You have 2 optiions. Direct connect from one battery to the other. Pos to pos (red) and neg to neg (black). Just like you would connect it to jump start any other vehicle. The other is pos (red) on the truck battery to the frame or track of the dozer (red) which is positive on the dozer because of the reverse grounding, and then neg (black) from truck battery to neg (black) on dozer battery.

Is there an order to how to hook them up...ie pos jumper from truck battery to positive on dozer battery then negative on dozer to negative on truck...?

Connecting cable ends to both batteries is a safety hazard. Yea, I know some of you do it all the time. I have done the bumper to bumper thing also, when the cables were not long enough The reason that you only connect one jumper to the battery being charged, is to prevent a spark lighting off the hyd gas with high amp charging. The other cable end goes to chassis ground.

Can you be more specific?

ie.. put the positive jumper cable hooked to the pos. side of the battery in my truck on the chasis of the dozer. Then hook the negative jumper from the negative pole of the truck battery to the negative pole of the dozer battery...?

If this is correct which order do you do it in?

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #14  
Can you be more specific?

ie.. put the positive jumper cable hooked to the pos. side of the battery in my truck on the chasis of the dozer. Then hook the negative jumper from the negative pole of the truck battery to the negative pole of the dozer battery...?

If this is correct which order do you do it in?

FIRST hook up neg from truck bat. to neg on dozer bat.
SECOND hook pos. from truck bat. to dozer frame
Start dozer disconect in reverse order.
ENJOY

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #15  
Right you are.

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #16  
Reverse the polarity of the charger/jump vehicle's cables at the positive ground tractor. (Black on Positive-Red on Negative terminals. Do not let any metal touch between either vehicle

No. NO. You'll melt jumper cables and make all kinds of nasty things happen. Black still goes to negative and red still goes to positive. The only difference is that positive can be the ground in the dozer.

In every charging scenario, you connect positive to positive and negative to negative. (Not doing this will cause problems, no matter what.)
In every jump start scenario, you connect to the battery first and ground last (Not doing this has some potential to maybe cause exploding batteries).

Here's my proposed sequence... Dozer side Black to the dozer's battery negative. Truck side red to the truck's battery positive. Truck side black to truck ground, Dozer side Red to dozer ground. Rev your truck engine for a minute to get some juice in the dozer battery and then fire up the dozer.

If you use a jumper pack, then still go black to negative and red to positive. Black goes to the battery negative terminal and positive goes to ground (because this is a positive ground system).

No. NO. You'll melt jumper cables and make all kinds of nasty things happen. Black still goes to negative and red still goes to positive. The only difference is that positive can be the ground in the dozer.

In every charging scenario, you connect positive to positive and negative to negative. (Not doing this will cause problems, no matter what.)
In every jump start scenario, you connect to the battery first and ground last (Not doing this has some potential to maybe cause exploding batteries).

Here's my proposed sequence... Dozer side Black to the dozer's battery negative. Truck side red to the truck's battery positive. Truck side black to truck ground, Dozer side Red to dozer ground. Rev your truck engine for a minute to get some juice in the dozer battery and then fire up the dozer.

If you use a jumper pack, then still go black to negative and red to positive. Black goes to the battery negative terminal and positive goes to ground (because this is a positive ground system).

Okay, so I'll probably be using a jumper pack so simply put the black cable of the jumper pack to the ground(black) on the 12V battery in the dozer, then put the red of the jumper pack to the frame of the dozer....? Sound right? It is really amazing how many different scenarios I've heard with this procedure...:confused:

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #18  
Okay, so I'll probably be using a jumper pack so simply put the black cable of the jumper pack to the ground(black) on the 12V battery in the dozer, then put the red of the jumper pack to the frame of the dozer....? Sound right? It is really amazing how many different scenarios I've heard with this procedure...:confused:

Nearly all of the scenarios get you the same result, they're just said in different words.

Black goes to the negative battery terminal (which is not the ground in this case), and red goes to Positive (which is ground in this case). The most important this is that negative goes to negative and positive goes to positive. The negative terminal of the battery may or may not be black. Be sure and actually read the battery to know which is negative and which is positive.

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #19  
Okay, is this the best way to do it? I think I remember my dad running the positive jumper from his truck and clipping it on the track and then running the negative jumper right to the starter. Then we'd fire it up from the seat.
Seems like if I ran the positive jumper to the track of the dozer it would blow my battery to smitherines...This stuff gets sooo confusing. I just remember my dad complaining that one time he blew the top of one of the batteries off... I don't need this to happen when the dozer is 3' up on a flatbed and the driver is waiting for me to unload it...

You are making this too hard.. and amigauser is trying to blow up your battery.

When jumping like voltages.. IE.. jumping 6v with 6v, and jumping 12v with 12v, JUST MATCH THE POLARITIES.. no magic.. no incantations or hand gestures needed.. .. positive to positive, negative to negative.

You can jump a 6v setup from 12v IF a couple things are done. 1, the 6v unit must have a magneto, or have enough juice in it's 6v battery to run the ignition, and 2, you jumper straight from the 12v bat to the 6v starter.. this entails starting the tractor while not on it.. so precautions must be made to prevent it starting in gear.. etc.

again.. + to + and - to - ALWAYS!!!

soundguy

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #20  

good luck on the jumper pack! not alot of CCA there.

When I go to a tractor show.. I take a spare 12v HD battery with me on a hand cart.. I have a set of jumper cables made up with jump cable son one end, and battery clamps onthe other.. good heavy 1/0 cables... shorter the better.. as you can set the battery up on a hood or somewhere close to the other battery or starter.

some of these machines have huge batteries.. and if they are low, your jumper battery may be pulled way down with the load of the starter AND the low main battery. in that case.. hookup the low battery to your vehicle with jump cables and let her charge 20 minutes while you get a cup of coffee.. it will only be a flash charge.. but should help along with the booster pack. I also like to shut my truck off during a jump boost.

IE.. jumpe rit.. let charge a few minutes, then shut truck off to protect alternator and other electronics while the other vehicle starts.

soundguy