Jump starting Positive Ground

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #21  
Reverse the polarity of the charger/jump vehicle's cables at the positive ground tractor. (Black on Positive-Red on Negative terminals. Do not let any metal touch between either vehicle

you like to blow up batteries eh?

Always MATCH polarities.

soundguy

/ Jump starting Positive Ground
good luck on the jumper pack! not alot of CCA there.

When I go to a tractor show.. I take a spare 12v HD battery with me on a hand cart.. I have a set of jumper cables made up with jump cable son one end, and battery clamps onthe other.. good heavy 1/0 cables... shorter the better.. as you can set the battery up on a hood or somewhere close to the other battery or starter.

some of these machines have huge batteries.. and if they are low, your jumper battery may be pulled way down with the load of the starter AND the low main battery. in that case.. hookup the low battery to your vehicle with jump cables and let her charge 20 minutes while you get a cup of coffee.. it will only be a flash charge.. but should help along with the booster pack. I also like to shut my truck off during a jump boost.

IE.. jumpe rit.. let charge a few minutes, then shut truck off to protect alternator and other electronics while the other vehicle starts.

soundguy

K&K 660 jump pack, nothing fancy but can deliver 1700CA's. I have not used it yet but have read it fired up a D9 with dead batteries...? I guess I'll see.
My truck has dual batteries and dual alternators but I don't want to risk frying anything in my truck...The jump pack is a whole lot cheaper than my trucks electronics...
Thanks for your help and specificity!

My project for this HD5 will be do re-do the rear seals and fix the track adjustor spring. I see lots of work in my future. Other than that this machine only has about 3000 hours on it. My grandfather purchased it as his little fine grading machine in 1955... Only thing left from the company.. and him. My plan is restore it with my two kids and hopefully help teach them a bit about turning a wrench instead of turning a controller on a video game....

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #23  
K&K 660 jump pack, nothing fancy but can deliver 1700CA's. I have not used it yet but have read it fired up a D9 with dead batteries...? I guess I'll see.

I.. uh.. rather don't believe that.

I work around heavy equipment.. some with 'banks' of large bats like 4dlt.. etc.

I've seen a large crawler or dozer with 2 dead bats take a half an hour to charge then jump off with 2 diesel trucks hooked up charging them.. each diesel truck had 2 batteries.

I have had a couple jump packs.. for small low torque engines.. they work pretty good if yuor battery is marginal. I had never had any luck with a jump pack on a diesel.. even my smaller tractor diesels.. like a 256 and 304 ci in my 5000 and 7610s.

soundguy

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #26  
I think I remember my dad running the positive jumper from his truck and clipping it on the track

Never use the tracks for grounding , for jump starting or welding . It will cause arcing between the ball/roller bearings in the final drives and transmission as the current is searching for solid grounding . This will cause major pitting damage to the bearings and gears .

/ Jump starting Positive Ground
I.. uh.. rather don't believe that.

I work around heavy equipment.. some with 'banks' of large bats like 4dlt.. etc.

I've seen a large crawler or dozer with 2 dead bats take a half an hour to charge then jump off with 2 diesel trucks hooked up charging them.. each diesel truck had 2 batteries.

I have had a couple jump packs.. for small low torque engines.. they work pretty good if yuor battery is marginal. I had never had any luck with a jump pack on a diesel.. even my smaller tractor diesels.. like a 256 and 304 ci in my 5000 and 7610s.

soundguy

I tend to agree with you but there are many different packs out there and this is not one you'd find at Sams club with a air compressor and a light. I too have grown up running large quarry machines, dozers, loaders, shovels etc...never saw a pack used but technology has improved. The most important part of jumping them off was using heavy duty good quality cables..

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #28  
Never use the tracks for grounding , for jump starting or welding . It will cause arcing between the ball/roller bearings in the final drives and transmission as the current is searching for solid grounding . This will cause major pitting damage to the bearings and gears .

Ditto that.. I've seen pitting on shaft at bearing contacts from that sort of thing.

soundguy

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #29  
I tend to agree with you but there are many different packs out there and this is not one you'd find at Sams club with a air compressor and a light. I too have grown up running large quarry machines, dozers, loaders, shovels etc...never saw a pack used but technology has improved. The most important part of jumping them off was using heavy duty good quality cables..

If the pack is big enough to provide that much CCA.. etc.. etc.. might just as well have a spare battery with heavy cables.. probably cheaper...

soundguy

/ Jump starting Positive Ground #30  
If the pack is big enough to provide that much CCA.. etc.. etc.. might just as well have a spare battery with heavy cables.. probably cheaper...

soundguy

Exactly. The shop I work at purchased a jump pack that will start a 4 cyl diesel with a flat battery. But at over $400 I consider it an extravagance more than a necessity. And its own batteries have failed once already (under warranty).