Tractor
    PT2445 and PT1850

Default Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals?

I just ordered and received a "rebuild" kit for the main hydraulic cylinder on my backhoe and frankly, I'm pissed! $45 for four neoprene type seals and a couple of o-rings seems like a major rip to me! Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for stuff like this....surely these are standard replacement items...I just didn't know where else to get them.

Also, any tips on the rebuild will be appreciated.

Thx,

Default Re: Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals?

Wasabi, was that hydraulic cylinder made by Snap-on?[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sounds like their parts; almost identical to everyone else's, but cost 2 or 3 times as much, and they'll make them a millimeter or so different size so no others will interchange.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, if you were in my town, it would either be Web Seal or Potter Associates.
    Generally, if you are near a metropolitan area, there will be an industrial supplier of seals and O rings.
    Seals and O rings stop getting cheap real quick when you get to hydraulic cylinder rebuilding, so if you are talking about a cylinder with a 4" bore and large piston rod, you could spend $30 or more real quick.

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

I just had the local hydraulic shop rebuild one of the stabilizer cylinders on my old kubota hoe. Total price was $53.00.

Tractor
    JD 4400

TSC offers universal seal sets by size of bore. Notice them after buying a set from JD. JD was not bad, about $12 as I remember, but TSC was even less. Don't know if they will work in all cylinders but looked like about what I got from JD

Tractor
    PT2445 and PT1850

Bird, maybe Power Trac is an incognito wholly owned Snap-on subsidiary. They certainly seem to play the replacement parts pricing game by the same rules....and they have a non-negotiable, no-return policy [img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img]

All, thanks for the tips. I sure felt foolish when I opened the UPS package and saw how little I got for what it cost, even more so now that I hear it may have been possible to have the sucker rebuilt for the cost of parts.

Man, do I have a lot to learn. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] I just hope I have more than lint left in my pockets when I'm edicated!

Tractor
    Belarus 250 AS

I had a cyclinder rebuilt for my John Deere backhoe. Cost $230. And I thought that was pretty good. I priced a kit for the stabilizers and it was $45. I don't think you did too bad...Emery