Ford 4000 question

/ Ford 4000 question #1  

fishnlunds

Have a 1969 Ford 4000 tractor 3cyl gas that I split to put a new clutch in and ended up rebuilding the motor while it was apart. Motor was completely shot, overcame this problem and am ready to put back together. Inside of bell housing of transmission covered with 3/4" of hard grease. Where did it come from? Is some seal on transmisssion leaking or did it come out of rear main of motor? If it is trans leaking how do you diagnose what is leaking?

/ Ford 4000 question #2  
It sounds like it could be a combination of oil and dirt. Sounds like seals are leaking.

/ Ford 4000 question #3  
If it is completely around the inside, most likely the rear main seal, and your flywheel slung the oil. Ad dusty conditions, and you get that buildup.

Tranny leaks usually show a clean streak down the face of the trans., or "washed' as it is referred to a lot. Usually this oil runs out the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing/torque tube. There should be a cotter key in that hole. It lets the oil out, but keeps larger debris out. These can get plugged.. The idea behind the cotter key is to move, wobble, and keep the hole open.

If you've owned and operated the tractor for very long, guess you'll just have to ask yourself if it used a lot of oil. More so than just burning... Or..., if you've had to add to the trans./hyd quite often.

Here is a link to New Holland parts site. New Holland - After sales service: assistance, original spare parts, manuals

Go to the middle paragraph, and click on parts & service. It wil open into a window, where you type in your model number. It will then open to a page that has anything with 4000 in the model number. Select 4000 3 cyl tractor.

It will then open to a list of the various components of the tractor. I assume you have the 6 speed tranny. Open that section, and there will be an exploded view of your trans. You can see what seals, and gaskets are where.

/ Ford 4000 question #4  
If you have a rebuilt motor, presumably you have a new rear main crankshaft seal and rear camshaft cover. That addresses the possibilities for engine oil leakage into the clutch housing. Now spend another $20 and swap out the two transmission input shaft seals and the seal carrier gasket. You will have eliminated the most likely causes of transmission oil leakage into the clutch housing.

/ Ford 4000 question #5  
Hey, quick question. I have a Ford 4500 with the 3 cyl gas motor that I'm getting ready to rebuild. Where did you get your engine parts from? Did you use an engine kit?
Vince

/ Ford 4000 question #6  
are you rebuilding it or sending to a machine shop.. if a shop.. then at least check their prices for ordering a kit.. plus get a cnh price, and check other online parts houses. Depending on how bad yours is.. a crate engine or running salvage may be cheaper.. all depends on what you find / what is wrong with yours.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 question #7  
I'll be rebuiding it myself. Whats wrong with it? That a good question! I haven't determined what is exactly wrong, but the motor is locked up. The guy I got it from said it was running and when he shut the engine off it came to a sudden stop, instead of just winding down like normal. He said it made no noises and wasn't hot. It has plenty of oil and coolant. I even cut the oil filter apart and there was no metal shavings or junk in it. I took the starter off and bench tested it and it is good. I put a pry bar on the flywheel and the motor won't move either way. I disconnected the front mount hydraulic pump and the pump turns fine. I took the gear driven power steering pump off and it is also good. I also pulled the spark plugs and looked and soaked it with oil and it did nothing. Thats about all I can get at with the frontend loader on, so right now I took the backhoe off and front end loader. The tractor also pushes very easy, so I know it isn't a problem with the torque converter or transmission. I'll be bringing it into my shop in the next couple weeks (have a few other projects to get done first) to pull the front axle of so I can get at the front of the engine. I wonder if something is jamming the timing gears or a timing gear keyway sheared locking the engine? This really has me baffled and I'm just planning for the worst. I've priced used tractor parts and I think I'd rather rebuild it myself. I think it will be the cheapest route and I know what I have when I'm done. I was wondering where he got his parts and what are some of the other engine part suppliers? If the engine needs a total rebuild, I'll go with an engine kit.
Vince

/ Ford 4000 question #8  
torque converter?

is this an industrial unit.. or a straight ag 4000?

in any case I'd pull the pan and check the mains and rods.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 question #9  
Yes, it is a 4500 industrial with shuttle shift. On this tractor in order to drop the oil pan you have to remove the front axle.
Vince

/ Ford 4000 question #10  
oh.. I see what happened.. you hopepd in on someone else's 4000 thread instead of starting your very own post...

soundguy