Splitting a ford 7600

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
..Just venting about obsolete parts..on a tractor as common as this..?

Recently split my 7600 expecting to change a clutch but found the splines stripped off the transmission end of the hi/lo output shaft and and the recieving shaft in the transmission.Hard to swallow a $4000 parts bill on a tractor worth not much more so after searching through almost 30 wreckers found one without similar problems and salvaged parts for $1400.All going back together niceley when i decided that after all this work i did'nt like the little wear in the PTO drive plate on the flywheel end..."Obsolete part"...and no used worth having.
Dealers only sell upgrade from 15 spline to 20 spline like in TW's and means going back into the tranny and changing shafts all over again.I find this hard to believe as as far as i can see it's the same as any ford 5000/6600/7600 etc......I'm having a machine shop make one up for $260...?

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #2  
Obsolete parts!

Wait till age encroaches on the old body and there are limited choices for replacement or even repair!:D:D

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #3  
this might make ya feel better.. wander by a CNH parts counter and start pricing tranny gears on an 8000... after about 4 gears, ya can just buy another 8000 to work with...

soundguy

..Just venting about obsolete parts..on a tractor as common as this..?

Recently split my 7600 expecting to change a clutch but found the splines stripped off the transmission end of the hi/lo output shaft and and the recieving shaft in the transmission.Hard to swallow a $4000 parts bill on a tractor worth not much more so after searching through almost 30 wreckers found one without similar problems and salvaged parts for $1400.All going back together niceley when i decided that after all this work i did'nt like the little wear in the PTO drive plate on the flywheel end..."Obsolete part"...and no used worth having.
Dealers only sell upgrade from 15 spline to 20 spline like in TW's and means going back into the tranny and changing shafts all over again.I find this hard to believe as as far as i can see it's the same as any ford 5000/6600/7600 etc......I'm having a machine shop make one up for $260...?

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #4  
Then again, it maybe be an opprotunity knocking on the door. If he can make it for $260.00 out of suitable material, maybe have him make a few more, and see if you can peddle them at a reasonable price. I'd much rather sell quite a few at a tidy profit, than sell one or two at outrageous prices, and help someone out at the same time. Got to put yourself in the customers place.. Namely you, at this particular time.

Maybe on here..., TractorHouse, other Ford tractor sites.., Epay..??

Not sure about others, but I use Google, and use the OEM number when doing a search. Just be sure and post the part number.

With the economy the way it is, I'm sure they would appreciate the business, and some pocket change for you..!!

A buddy of mine on here, had his neighbor make a pullerto remove the damper pulley from his IH Cub. It worked so well, he had him make more, and sold them at a reasonable price. They've sold quite a few.

Just a thought..!!

/ Splitting a ford 7600
this might make ya feel better.. wander by a CNH parts counter and start pricing tranny gears on an 8000... after about 4 gears, ya can just buy another 8000 to work with...

soundguy

I know very little of the 8000's and is probably the only series of fords i've had no dealings with......Is that rear end the same as a TW..??

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #6  
I know even less about the tw series than the larger 000 series.. and what I know about those pluss a couple pieces of bread will fit in a sandwich baggie.. :)

rickb is really the man to ask about them units..

soundguy

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #7  
I know very little of the 8000's and is probably the only series of fords i've had no dealings with......Is that rear end the same as a TW..??

Similar, but with typical improvements to the TW's over the years as time and HP progressed.

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #8  
hub with 6 holes, recessed on one side in center, # c5nnn777a is available aftermarket, 15 spline

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #9  
Ford 6700 1980's tractor ? And no parts available ? its a shame !
Maybe parts availability explains the price and popularity of older Deere models...

Local dealer wanted 200 euro for a gearwheel of my 1967 Zetor 3011.... I paid 51 Euro directly from the Czech republic., and payd 600 Euro for a complete tranny overhaul, 2 gears, all bearings... Its like brand new inside, good for another 40 years...

/ Splitting a ford 7600 #10  
Ford 6700 1980's tractor ? And no parts available ? its a shame !
Maybe parts availability explains the price and popularity of older Deere models...

The part in question was underdesigned and subsequently improved along with a matching part, necessitating the replacement of both which is the prudent repair in most cases. Apparently there is an aftermarket source for the original design, which makes some sense as well.

You need to look into some of Deere's comparable parts availability before crowing about that brand too much. Solid, stable Deere isn't what it used to be.