Unconventional record keeping?

/ Unconventional record keeping? #11  
I write hours and date on the tractor oil filters-engine and HST. My car and truck are both cartridge filters but I keep small record books in both of those to record all fuel, mileage and maintenance, when I switch the winter and summer tires/wheels so I know the mileage on them. I still replace tires based on visible wear and condition but like to know how they did.
I write, in pencil, the various wheel nut/bolt torques on the window edge over the bench in the shop.
I like the white magnetic card idea for keeping a visible reminder on things like the BH.

/ Unconventional record keeping?
Writing on filters is common, but I'm glad to know there are more than a couple of people writing on the machines themselves. I picked the habit up off my boss, years ago, while doing service work for a truck fleet.

For oil changes, we'd take a sharpie, write down when the next service was due, then draw a line through the old reminder. In short order, there would be mileage figures scribbled on every surface. When you found yourself going mad trying to find the most current reminder, out came the acetone.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #13  
I put everything in a file on the computer.

All the info I need in one place for all vehicles. I try and time all my vehicles and tractors around the same time, then I go to to my file and see what vehicles need service and what type of service and when. Then I can order the filters etc. over the internet and whne it all comes in I go to work.

I put a lot more info in the file besides filter number hours, cross reference numbers, I put in things I find on the internet that I may read here for the next time I need info on that piece of equipment, or a valuable internet link for parts, or options. Cut and paste works great for remembering what advice I collect here or else where.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #14  
I use Green 3m painters tape on a clean area under the hood to remind me of last oil change date and mileage/hours.

This is duplicated on the filter with a sharpie in case the tape comes off.

I also mark on a relatively clean area under hood the oil capacity and filter type with a sharpie.

Last edited:
   / Unconventional record keeping? #15  
I write the hoursand date on the filters before I screw them on, for the spin on's anyway... sometimes record info about the air fitler as well.. then i stick some clear packing tape over it so it will be there towards the end of the year.

I also like to stick reciepts in the cover of my manual year to year...

soundguy

/ Unconventional record keeping? #16  
I write the hoursand date on the filters before I screw them on, for the spin on's anyway... sometimes record info about the air fitler as well.. then i stick some clear packing tape over it so it will be there towards the end of the year.

I also like to stick reciepts in the cover of my manual year to year...

soundguy

I also write on my rims, under the hood and filters but wait until the filter is installed. If I don't I have to look at upside-down writing EVERY STINKING TIME :)

Guess I don't have Soundguy's skill with this. Maybe I need practice. Oh goody! 300 Hr service is coming up!

/ Unconventional record keeping? #17  
I write mine on first so i don't have to get a rag and paint thinner to clean the oil off and then dry it so the marker will write on it.

and yes.. it sometimes is upside down.. but that's fine. :)

soundguy

/ Unconventional record keeping? #18  
For smaller machines like ATVs, lawn mowers, tractor, etc I keep just one spiral notebook in my toolchest. In it I record all services as well as parts replacements. The cars and truck each have a small notebook of their own in the glove boxes.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #19  
I keep notebooks in all vehicles, write down all maintenance fuel fill ups with date, hours, mileage. All Data is kept in our computer. I have it compute MPG and GPH so I know how that piece of equipment is performing.

The last two tractors I traded in I printed out the maintenance records, one of the shop guys took one of the tractors so I gave him a copy, said he had never seen anything like it.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #20  
I write on the filters with a nail or the tip of a knife blade, so that it is there for good. Once rust takes over, the writing is easily visible, and unremovable. Not good for record keeping, once you change it because nobody wants to store old filters in a filing cabinet.
David from jax