Unconventional record keeping?

/ Unconventional record keeping? #1  

Cami

Silver Member
Tractor
Don't have one of my own! I work on other people's machines.
Mention of service records in another thread started me to thinking about the importance of record keeping.

A habbit I picked up early on was writing notes on trucks and equipment with a sharpie; not in plain view, but under the hood. Does anybody else do this? I'm not using it as a replacement for proper record keeping, but to provide a quick reference in the field; it's nothing an acetone-soaked rag can't fix.

Usually I'll just write down when different services are due. On equipment with small gas engines like welders, generators, or pumps I've even put down sparkplug gap and valve lash specs.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #2  
not to that extent......... but i write down things like hours, date, etc. on my filters when i change them. Like yourself, i write it right on the filter with a sharpie.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #3  
Yes I do. I write down belt sizes, part numbers and dates that service events occurred. Usually on the back of the hood or on the part it's self. Makes for quick reference. I am also one to write explanations and procedures in the margins of service guides. Saves me from having to figure the same thing out twice. :)

/ Unconventional record keeping? #4  
I like to write under the hood as well, on the smaller tractors that we have had I will write belt, blade and filter numbers in permanent marker on the underside of the hood. On cars I will write the quantity of oil needed somewhere in the engine compartment and the number of miles that the car has on the filter when I install it.

Aaron Z

/ Unconventional record keeping? #5  
Only thing I write in sharpie is the wrench sizes for oil on cars. It didnt occur to me to write on filter of the dates and I think that is an awesome idea. Nothing like a oily rag to wipe the dirt off the filter to see what you wrote. ;)
good idea ducttape!

/ Unconventional record keeping? #7  
I write tire pressure on the fender and/or rims of our tractor and mover. I will start writing on the filters too.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #8  
I cut a piece of one of those magnet backed cards that was all white. I mark down the hours when I greased my trackhoe and put the magnet on the boom where I can see it. I use a grease pencil so it wipes off easy. I use the grease pencil to mark on my air filters when I cleaned them also. I also do like the others and mark hours for oil and filter changes on the filter.

/ Unconventional record keeping? #10  
I write hours and date on the oil filter.

I also write tire pressure next to the valve stems.

In a few cases I write the wrench size next to a big tractor bolt, when I recall I went back for a different socket every time I checked it. :)