International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP!

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #11  
Can you refresh "our" collective memory? Is this a gas engine or a diesel?

Very helpful that you clarified the verbs "crank" and "fire." Makes a huge difference --in a helpful way-- with troubleshooting. Many folks use the terms incorrectly, pointing a service tech in the wrong direction.

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #12  
has this machine been sitting for two years without running?

If so, you most likely have a fuel problem. Over time, gasoline goes bad, bad gas makes for very hard starting and can cause other issues. The first thing I'd do is to drain all the fuel - including that in the carburetor - and replace it with fresh gas.

A shot of starter fluid in the throat of the carb will tell you if you're getting spark - if you got spark the motor might not start and run, but should show some signs of life...

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP!
Hi everyone, thanks for the replys. Yes it has been sitting since it broke down in Dec 2009.... not being mechanical, I had no idea where to start. Well here is an update and again thank you for all your help. The snow thrower stoped working. However trying to start it later it would never start. So..I bnought a new starter (I ruined the old one trying to start it in -40c weather - the 'drive wouldn't engage)...yes, all this I learnt...so with new starter still no fire....new spark plug..nothing. So in looking around (I was going to check the coil) I saw a 'knob' that looked like it was attached to my gas line (little, like a choke knob)...I pulled it out and it started no problem! How it got depressed I have no idea. Now, on the the snow thrower issue...original from my discription I was looking for a 'shear pin' .. anyway, what it ended up being was a 'key' in the shaft and a setting screw...key MIA and setting screw MIA as well...
It runs, I learnt lots and I will do another thread about a possible lawn mowing attachment to pull..... Thanks everyone!

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #14  
Glad you got it going!

Yep, there's a pretty steep learning curve when you start to learn about mechanical stuff, but just think of the "free" education you're getting!:laughing: