International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP!

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #1  

JonBurrows

Hi there, I am not a handy man in the least. A few months ago I bought this used IH with Hydrostatic drive. We had our first huge snow fall yesterday and I fired her up this morning. After about 2 hours of fine performance (long wide driveway in the country) the rotor blade stopped turning/working. Now, the PTO engages and from what I can tell the output shaft that goes from the gear box to the roller chain - that works as it is spinning, but the roller chain isn't turning to turn the rotor blade.

Now, I was given some instructions and I see some hand writing next to the illustration of this set up and it says "Brg Torington B1210,OLT (oil hole) with an arrow pointing to a piston type thing in the roller chain contraption located on the back left side of the thrower housing (it appears to have had a "guard" but there is no guard now so I can see the chain area). I am guessing perhaps this was a problem before?

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions? Thank you so much. I am the opposite of a handyman and I look forward to reading your responses.

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #2  
Hi there, I am not a handy man in the least. A few months ago I bought this used IH with Hydrostatic drive. We had our first huge snow fall yesterday and I fired her up this morning. After about 2 hours of fine performance (long wide driveway in the country) the rotor blade stopped turning/working. Now, the PTO engages and from what I can tell the output shaft that goes from the gear box to the roller chain - that works as it is spinning, but the roller chain isn't turning to turn the rotor blade.

Now, I was given some instructions and I see some hand writing next to the illustration of this set up and it says "Brg Torington B1210,OLT (oil hole) with an arrow pointing to a piston type thing in the roller chain contraption located on the back left side of the thrower housing (it appears to have had a "guard" but there is no guard now so I can see the chain area). I am guessing perhaps this was a problem before?

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions? Thank you so much. I am the opposite of a handyman and I look forward to reading your responses.

Look for a shear pin.

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP!
Hi there, and thanks for your reply. I had to look up "shear pin" so I now know what that is. Now interesting enough, when I engage the PTO, once and a while it will/could move the chain slowly...then stops...then may move slow, slow. Does this still sound like a shear pin?

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #4  
Probably a small leftover piece/pieces of the shear pin creating just enough friction between the shafts --for a few seconds-- to make things move.

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #5  
just in case your not sure what to look for and for safety keep your tactor turned off and disconect the pto power take off from your tractor to your snowblower.Now turn the shaft by hand and see if it will turn the sprocket that the chain is on.If it doesn't turn there's a shear pin or a shear bolt that has broken .In another words the shaft that turns the sprocket should have a bolt [shear pin] that goes throught the sprocket and the shaft which makes them stay together.Now if you can find anyplace where there's a bolt that goes throught the sprocket and shaft and the sprocket still doesn't turn as you turn the shaft then its a possibility that there's a keyway cut into the sprocket and the shaft that has broken.In this case there should be a set screw in the sprocket that you need a allen wrench for.I'am not sure what your set up looks like but a picture of the sprocket and shaft would help out.Again try turning stuff by hand rather then letting the tractor turn the shaft.For safety sake. Larry

Hi all and thanks for the responses. Currently -32C where I am and no heated garage so I will wait a little. I will update as I can. A gentleman from church offered to assist so once it warms up I will take him up on it and I will let you all know what it was. If anyone has any other suggestions though, please let me know. Thanks again.

/ International Harvester Snow thrower QA-42A Repair Question, HELP! #8  
My first thoughts are also shear pin or bolt.

Well hello again/all. If you can believe it I never tackled this problem and created another. Shortly after it was so cold here (-42'ish C for some weeks) I couldn't start it so...

I started a new job exactly at this time and settling in etc. took its toll on my time. Now, some 2 years later I thought the starting problem was the starter as me trying to start it over and over again did something to it (I was told the drive wasn't working) so I got a new starter.

Well, I cannot get it going still. I googled and it said to check spark plugs, wires, maybe a fuel problem. Does anyone have any recommendations on which a non-mechanical guy like me should tackle and in what order?

Once I am able to get it started, I will then once again figure out what is wrong with the actual snow blower part.

Thx and I look forward to your replies.

Oh I just googled some terms and to clarify, it 'cranks' but will not 'fire up'.