Back blade crack repair and reinforcement

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #1  

charlz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100D
I got this light-duty back blade with my tractor a few years ago. It is pretty light weight and was already starting to crack back then... which is probably why he threw it in with the tractor. ;) The blade seems to be made of 8 gauge or so but the cutting edge is 3/8. The blade started to crack out around the lower welds and moved up the sides of the bracket. No idea what brand it is.

I ground the cracks out, moved things back into place with a jack and chains and re-welded the front and ground down the welds so they wouldn't interfere with dirt or snow 'rolling' on the blade. For the back however I decided to stiffen it up a bit :D I recently bought almost two full sheets of 'drop pieces' 1/4 sheet for $140.... which is about 50% off buying two full sheets. (3) 2x4 pieces and (3) 20 x 96 pieces. Somewhat rusted but a flap disk takes care of that pretty fast. You can see some laying on the floor in the background. Naturally I decided to use this to make a doubler plate for the blade (when all you have is a hammer.... :D )

Here is the plate I cut out using my plasma and laying on the blade for a test fit/mark the lines sand for welding. The blade is sitting up on an old cabinet and you are looking down on it. This gave me a nice level work space... not that it helped my ability to weld much :eek: The small holes were drilled with a 1" HF Silver and Deming drill bit.

021.jpg

Here is the plate by itself... I really need to buy a circle cutter attachment for my plasma... cutting nice looking circles free-hand is hard :eek: I rounded the corners by cutting around a piece of 2 1/4 pipe and touching them up with a 7" grinder... if you don't have one of those you should get one... it removes some metal in a hurry! :cool:

022.jpg

And here she is welded on, I left space to make multiple passes around the old bracket to tie the doubler to the bracket and blade.

031.jpg

The piece of tubing going up to the swivel plate was starting to bow out on the back... so I 'persuaded' it back in line and also made a doubler plate for it... I will take more pics after the primer dries and I get it back in service.... we are expecting snow tonight and for the next two days or so. I wanted to get this done just in case I need it.:)

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #2  
That is a very pretty reinforcing plate. You will have a factory looking blade. A blade like this takes a lot of force when you snag a corner on something immovable. The twisting force is tremendous. I know that I have sheared of hard 1/2 inch bolts in the angling adjustment of mine.

Mike

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #3  
Charlz,

Looks good and lasts a long time!!:D

Deano

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement
That is a very pretty reinforcing plate.

Thanks!

You will have a factory looking blade. A blade like this takes a lot of force when you snag a corner on something immovable. The twisting force is tremendous. I know that I have sheared of hard 1/2 inch bolts in the angling adjustment of mine.

Yeah I think plowing snow with it is harder on it than grading dirt... I've snagged more than a few frozen solid rocks and I am sure that is what the previous owner did as well. The tractor, blade and a snowblower all came together from a part of Idaho north of here that gets quite a bit more snow than we do.

Charlz,

Looks good and lasts a long time!!:D

Deano

Thanks and I hope so! :D I will probably drag it out of the shop and get it hooked up tomorrow... 3-5 inches predicted over next two days.... might even get a chance to try it out!

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #6  
Yeah I think plowing snow with it is harder on it than grading dirt... I've snagged more than a few frozen solid rocks and I am sure that is what the previous owner did as well.

What I have done to put force on things is to be cruising along with a load of sand or loose topsoil and snag a tree stump with the corner. :eek: I have hooked a gate stop or two also. :eek:

Mike

Finally got a change to post the 'done' pics :eek: Here is the blade all welded, primed and mounted on the tractor. As you can see I got it done just in time for it to start snowing.... and it hasn't snowed since :confused:

001.JPG

003.JPG

Hopefully it will last another 30 years or so ;) if nothing else I've improved the scrap value :rolleyes:

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #8  
Nice work. Reminds me of a post I just replied to re: light duty vs med/heavy duty blades. Someone had mentioned a light duty was fine up to about 25 hp. I of course disagree as my tractor is only about 27 hp but I know the force it exerts on a 7 foot blade when a corner snags a rock or root. If you can't break traction before bending something, the implement is too light. Light duty may be ok for snow and loose material, not for any dirt work. Plasma cutter huh? Been on my wish list for awhile now. Would be sweet........

:)

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #9  
Looks good, and should hold up to most anything you throw at it now.

JB.

/ Back blade crack repair and reinforcement #10  
Nice job, wish I could weld with consistency. Your blades hould be a lot more rigid now.