New engine for Ford 1900 4WD

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #1  

Tractor
All makes
For my sins I have acquired a Ford 1900 4WD, the poor thing came as a back end and gearbox, accompanied by a large number of boxes containing everything else, all completely dismantled and I mean COMPLETETLY!! A jigsaw puzzle with no picture. Poking through the boxes I figgured I'd need some spares. Searching the net it appears spares are like hen's teeth. Has anyone found an engine that can be transplanted into a 1900 4WD, with a sump that won't foul the front drive shaft and still give the original HP? A couple of sites in the States do compact salvage, neither replied to e-mails asking about shipping spares to the UK. Trust me I need lots of spares!

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #2  
From what I have seen from my experience of owning a Ford 1100 which is your tractor's little brother (or since it is imcomplete, it's half brother, lol) you might seriously consider taking a serious inventory of what parts you have, and what you need. Purchase a shop manual with parts breakdown so you can see what isn't there. The parts I needed were often hard to find and very expensive to purchase when they were found in the normal channels. A rear axle was priced at over a thousand dollars ($US) but I ended up buying it from a dealer across the state (350 miles) for $237 that had it sitting on a shelf. Muffler is quoted at over $500 new but a used one was found for $60. How much of the original motor is there and what is wrong with it? Did somebody strip it to do some repair or is it unknown? A good engine shop "MIGHT" be able to look it over and give you some guidence about a rebuild. If the block is cracked, a good welder may be able to fix it, depends. I am seldom very good at diagonostics from across the room, much less across the big pond, so take everything with a grain of salt. Being a guy that collets way too much stuff for whatever project is at hand, I can understand wanting spares for EVERYHING, and usually in multiples, lol... but in your case, just getting the parts to put it back together is going to be a test. In fact, should you seriously consider wanting "spares" for everything, you might want to keep an eye out for a running 1900 and keep the spares you have right now for it.
David from jax

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #3  
As a 1900 owner my self, let me tell you that used parts are almost nonexistent. Those that have them are very proud of them$$$.They only made the 1900 for 4 yrs and I dont think alot were sold, which makes used parts harder to find. If it were me I would sell the good parts I had and put the money toward a running tractor. I love my 1900 and would have a hard time parting with it.
Bill

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD
Thanks for the replies, I will have a good poke into the boxes to see just what is there. The guy said it was all there except the front drive shaft. I know one of the pistons is damaged and she'll need at least new rings. The tyres are rubbish and the rear rims will never hold the weight, but they can be fixed. The rest of the rebuild is just time and parts. New head gasket I can get made, other gaskets and shims I can make. I bought a manual (first job with new tractor). I have four others in the pipeline to play with before I start on this (perhaps Spring) as well as other projects but I like to plan ahea
d.:) I would like to keep her original but if spares are not there and I can't make them perhaps selling as spares is the best option.

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #5  
Been there... looked for that. Learned my lesson on older sub compacts and parts availability. The only old I play with now are Bolens. Those are gasoline powered and many substitutions can be made to keep them working. Good luck in your search !

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #6  
Any of the parts like gaskets and shims ,pistons and ring are available thruogh N/H. You can check Messicks web sit for a parts diagram and prices.
Bill

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #7  
The diesel version ( at least the one I am real familiar with ) have crankshaft breakage problems. That is why they are torn apart and scattered to the winds. Gears for the rear axle / transmission are not available new either. Selling the parts is sure alot easier than buying replacements. Your right, bearings and gaskets are plentiful but usually the repair is more serious. If I had a good running unit it would be for sale because when it breaks it is worth scrap price. Ask me how I learned this lesson.

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #8  
Some of the smaller fords had problems with the cranks braking but I dont think the 1700 and 1900 did. I hope.
Bill

/ New engine for Ford 1900 4WD #9  
Hi
Just bought a 1900 myself and spare parts are like hens teeth,have you tried calling affordable tractors in Bristol,they might be able to help with location of donor tractor or salvage bits to get you started.